Second Look - Questions to ask

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

u_raptor

Victim of the Mayo bamboozle
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

with second look coming up I thought it would be a nice idea to compile some questions or things one might want to ask or look into during their second look weekend to help them make the choice come May!

Right now some ones I am thinking of are:

- Diversity in off site rotations (do they have access to rural communities? Suburban? Urban?). To me, as someone interested in rural partially, having the ability to get exposure to different healthcare settings is important to me.

- Where do people typically live, how far is it from school, how expensive is the area?

- What do students currently think of X specialty rotation at the school? For instance, I am interested in surgery, so I might ask how surgery rotations are for students that have gone through it. Do they get to see a good diversity of procedures, how are the proctors, are they good teachers, etc.

- How can one get early exposure to X specialty outside of shadowing. For ex, if I was interested in OBGYN, but the curriculum doesn't have an OBGYN rotation until very close to residency apps, I might ask if there are electives to get OBGYN exposure in 1st or 2nd year!

- On interview day, school X said they were small group focused. If I like small group focused learning, I might talk to students about what these group activities comprise, and how often they have these vs. trad lectures.

- How necessary or unnecessary is a car here.

Feel free to add any questions or things y'all might look into during second look! Hope any of these might help you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
What is your favorite local bar?

Reactions: 4 users
Step 1. Get current students to drink a bit
Step 2. "So what do you really think about the school?"

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1. Get current students to drink a bit
Step 2. "So what do you really think about the school?"
I guess converse if no drinks - what do you hate about here

Reactions: 1 user
One question I'll be asking for sure: How do I survive this climate? What snow gear might I need?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
What do you hate about the school?
Are the faculty as rude and inaccessible as the staff I’ve experienced?
Are the students lit or turnt down?
What are typical areas student live and price range?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Try to talk with fourth years if possible and be sure to read between the lines (unless you get a straight-shooter). They can provide the best insight into a school. First year students, while well-meaning, have not been there long enough to speak to the things that actually matter: 3rd and 4th year experiences. Questions to ask:
- what are their experiences on rotations
- what made them choose school X over their other choices, and would they choose their school again
- what do they dislike and wish they could change about their school
- what support does the school offer to students who are struggling (statistically, someone needs to be at that bottom 1%). Where did these students end up?

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Try to talk with fourth years if possible and be sure to read between the lines (unless you get a straight-shooter). They can provide the best insight into a school. First year students, while well-meaning, have not been there long enough to speak to the things that actually matter: 3rd and 4th year experiences. Questions to ask:
- what are their experiences on rotations
- what made them choose school X over their other choices, and would they choose their school again
- what do they dislike and wish they could change about their school
- what support does the school offer to students who are struggling (statistically, someone needs to be at that bottom 1%). Where did these students end up?
This.

I've found it weird that at every interview it was 1st year (maybe 2nd year) student running the panels and answering questions. Half the time I didn't bother to ask questions because what real insight is a person gonna have on a program that they started 3 months ago. I understand that the 3rd and 4th years are swamped with rotations or out interviewing for residency though.

This.

I've found it weird that at every interview it was 1st year (maybe 2nd year) student running the panels and answering questions. Half the time I didn't bother to ask questions because what real insight is a person gonna have on a program that they started 3 months ago. I understand that the 3rd and 4th years are swamped with rotations or out interviewing for residency though.
Honestly I feel. At at least 2 or 3 of my Interviews it was solely M1s that we talked to. Which was kinda...surprising to me. And this was in like September. Kinda hard to ask those important questions when they only have like 2 or 3 months more experience than we do with the school :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
I've found it weird that at every interview it was 1st year (maybe 2nd year) student running the panels and answering questions. Half the time I didn't bother to ask questions because what real insight is a person gonna have on a program that they started 3 months ago.
HAHA we M1s also wish upperclassmen were more available to help out at interviews—it's just as awkward for us to be in a position where we know we don't have enough insight for you guys, especially for early interviewees. For the most part, it really is because M3s are in rotations and M4s are busy with sub-I/away rotations/interviewing, and at least at our school, the M2s have a heavier class load and so are less inclined to sign up for admissions-related activities.

You will probably mainly meet with M1s and M4s at second looks—M3s will still be in rotations and many M2s will be busy with dedicated step 1 prep. Definitely ask the M4s the big questions (what they've liked/disliked over 4 years, rotations, admin support, school culture, etc.) For M1s, I would probably pay attention to the personalities (aka the kind of people the school attracts), and read between the lines about their happiness/stress. IMO if a lot of people are already miserable/stressed in M1, that would raise some questions for me.

HAHA we M1s also wish upperclassmen were more available to help out at interviews—it's just as awkward for us to be in a position where we know we don't have enough insight for you guys, especially for early interviewees. For the most part, it really is because M3s are in rotations and M4s are busy with sub-I/away rotations/interviewing, and at least at our school, the M2s have a heavier class load and so are less inclined to sign up for admissions-related activities.

You will probably mainly meet with M1s and M4s at second looks—M3s will still be in rotations and many M2s will be busy with dedicated step 1 prep. Definitely ask the M4s the big questions (what they've liked/disliked over 4 years, rotations, admin support, school culture, etc.) For M1s, I would probably pay attention to the personalities (aka the kind of people the school attracts), and read between the lines about their happiness/stress. IMO if a lot of people are already miserable/stressed in M1, that would raise some questions for me.
Thanks so much. I figured M3/M4s were just busy during Interviews. Does make it harder to gauge the school though. Good point about stress for M1s at this point though!