Second look weekend...Should I go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoc1364

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to ask you guys whether you think I should sign up for the second look at PSU?

I already posted this on PSU 2011 Class thread and got some feedback, but I also wanted to get more feedback from other SDN members too.

Here is my situation: At this point, I have only been accepted to Penn State. In other words, I am not deciding where I want to go right? I am still waiting to hear back from a private college and my state school put me on the hold list.

So I guess there is no legitimate reason for me to spend the time and money to travel right? But at the same time, the second look could be SO informative about housing, and general life in Hershey. I did not have time to really explore different facilities at Penn State including their gym. So what do you guys think? Should I just rely on finding good housing online and assume that they have a very good gym?

I have to say I live two hours away from Hershey so traval expenses will not be that much. Nonetheless, when I look into my calender, it seems that I have so much work to do during the next couple of weeks before I can graduate. What do you guys think? I should send them an email today if I wanna go. :confused:

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Futuredoc,

I am struggling with the same question, except mine are primarily financial (traveling from west coast to east). If you are still waiting to hear back from other schools, its a possibility that you might be pulled off the waitlist/hold and need to make a semi-quick decision on where you want to go. The second look would be a great opportunity to be able to make a mental list of where you would rather be (if it isn't clear at this time) and network for housing, check out the gym, the town, etc. I know it seems hectic and busy with graduation coming up quick, but I would feel a lot better having a solid idea of where I was going, what resources I have at hand, etc., and travel isn't terribly out of the way.

Good luck in making your decision! :)

I would totally go. Second Look isn't just about deciding which school you want to attend (though that's certainly part of it). It's also a great time to start making friends, find a roommate, get to know the med student support staff, become psychologically comfortable with the idea of living in this new place, etc.

I was actually struggling with the same question as well (only acceptence = Pitt). To me, it just wasn't worth it to fly cross country (I'm in LA). If I get into a cali school, I'm going there...if I don't, I'm going to Pitt, so I really don't have to be sold on the school.

If money and time were no object I would definitely go to check it out though....it would be nice to meet future classmates and get a feel for the area.