Second-look Weekends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

felipe5

Fingerpickin' Good
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for those of you familiar with second-look weekends. If accepted to some of the schools I applied to, I'd like show the school to my parents to see what they think. Does anyone know if the activities/presentations planned by the school are solely for prospective students, or do you think they would cater also to family members/spouses???

thx :horns:

Members don't see this ad.

I think parents are welcome and even encouraged to come. I do not know if the school would house or pay the tickets for them to fly there, though. Call and ask. It can't hurt, right?

I think parents are welcome and even encouraged to come. I do not know if the school would house or pay the tickets for them to fly there, though. Call and ask. It can't hurt, right?

False. Bring them around some other time.

Hope that Helps

P 'Preventing Awkwardness 24/7/365' ShankOut

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by indianboy
False. Bring them around some other time.

Hope that Helps

P 'Preventing Awkwardness 24/7/365' ShankOut

Are you sure? I remember at a school, one of the staff mentioned something about a day when you and your family come back and see the campus. Perhaps it is school specific. I would call and see the format of the second-look.

any other medical students have an opinion on this????

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
Are you sure? I remember at a school, one of the staff mentioned something about a day when you and your family come back and see the campus. Perhaps it is school specific. I would call and see the format of the second-look.

By "family," don't most med schools mean spouse/partner/kids?

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt

Wow, is it standard practice for the schools to pay the travel expenses for the second look days? That would be great! :thumbup:

Two answers:

1) At Penn, parents are invited to come to a day in orientation that includes the white coat ceremony. I never saw parents at second looks, though once and awhile I'd hear from someone that their parents were around. I just figured it was because the mature and adult student couldn't bear to make a decision on their own. Once and awhile you would see a girlfriend/boyfriend with an applicant, and all the other applicants would talk behind their back about it.

2) Some schools do pay airfare for accepted students to come back for the second look. Some schools only pay for select groups, such as URMs. I don't know about Penn in this regard either, because I was waitlisted through Penn Preview last year. I remember that Northwestern did pay airfare up to a certain amount and put the applicants up with students.

Just being as honest as I can...

Originally posted by Neuronix
all the other applicants would talk behind their back about it.

Wow, that reminds me of elementary school. How sad that those mature and adult people are like that at Penn.

I'm not talking about the people at Penn, indeed I was on Penn's waitlist until the end of May and didn't get to meet most of my classmates until I matriculated. Instead, I'm talking about when I was at second looks at various schools. Still, fear not, med school resembles high school very much no matter where you go.

Those who know me know that I very much don't like to talk about people, and so I generally don't. I'm simply relaying what happened around and probably will happen if you do the same.

Originally posted by felipe5
I have a question for those of you familiar with second-look weekends. If accepted to some of the schools I applied to, I'd like show the school to my parents to see what they think. Does anyone know if the activities/presentations planned by the school are solely for prospective students, or do you think they would cater also to family members/spouses???

thx :horns:

Unless you want your parents to sit in on mock PBL's, meet other prospective students, eat and socialize with other prospies at various restaurants etc, and then go clubbing every night.

At least at NU it would be kinda weird if you had your parents with you during the weekend. I mean there isn't anyone saying that they aren't allowed but it would be kinda weird to have your mom sitting next to u at PBL. I suppose you could bring your parents along but the events don't really cater to them.

I was recently invited for a second look weekend and was told by the Dean that it would be a good idea to bring my spouse. How could it not be...after all, if a couple is married (or otherwise commited for the long-term) isn't it important the the non-med student half of the couple have a say in the decision making process? And how could they if they've never been there?

Beside, anyone who "talks behind the back" of a prospective student because they bought a spouse or family is just plain immature and not even worth worrying about....grow up.

Originally posted by FutureERDoc

Beside, anyone who "talks behind the back" of a prospective student because they bought a spouse or family is just plain immature and not even worth worrying about....grow up.

Agreed. Do these students then pass around a note saying "Johny has a crush on Julie, circle yes or no"?

CCW

Members don't see this ad :)
My school has a second look day and I'm allowed to bring two "guests". I was going to bring my parents (one or both of them) since they live in the same city as the school, but now I'm worried about doing this after reading this. Do most people go alone, or with a spouse?

Originally posted by viking1224
Wow, is it standard practice for the schools to pay the travel expenses for the second look days? That would be great! :thumbup:

Hey Viking,
Do you know if HMS pays for our second look weekend?

BTW, did ya get the e-mail about the second look weekend today?

Thanks,
Harps

Originally posted by Harps
Hey Viking,
Do you know if HMS pays for our second look weekend?

BTW, did ya get the e-mail about the second look weekend today?

Thanks,
Harps

hi harps, i got the hms email also just now, but i guess we'll have to wait until the mailed packet to receive the details about hotel/flights and expenses. hope to see you there though! :)

Originally posted by priscy921
hi harps, i got the hms email also just now, but i guess we'll have to wait until the mailed packet to receive the details about hotel/flights and expenses. hope to see you there though! :)

You sure will! :)

-Harps

so parents shouldnt come with you?

At the two Duke weekends I've attended, only one person brought a parent. Spouses and significant others are plentiful, however.

Revisit weekends are a great opportunity to hang out with potential future classmates and get a sense of how you'd fit with them in that environment. Having parents around would -- for me -- really work against this process. Even at undergrad revisits I tried to temporarily disown my folks, since I never really felt like "myself" (or the self I wanted to be) when they were around.

But hey, it's your call.

I briefly considered inviting my dad to come to Duke this weekend, but there's not really a chance for him to come or events that he could take part in himself (my mom's away and turns out he's on call).

Anyway, it would be so he could tour around some of these medical establishments he's always hearing about and has colleagues from (and which both of my parents have worked hard to let me attend), but never had the chance to attend himself. I'd say invite your parents if you want, if there are things for them to do on their own, and you can handle it. Screw classmates who think less of you for it.

PS - I doubt HMS pays a dime, although I hope to be surprised.

Does anybody know if Boston U. pays airfare for second look?

Originally posted by dsblaha
Does anybody know if Boston U. pays airfare for second look?

highly doubtful...my friend didnt mention anything about that so i dont think so.

Originally posted by FutureERDoc
[Besides], anyone who "talks behind the back" of a prospective student because they bought a spouse or family is just plain immature and not even worth worrying about....grow up.

Don't shoot the messenger. If you don't care if everyone else finds it strange, neither do I. In response to CCW as well, yes, med school anywhere is alot like what I'm told high school is like. Get used to the idea now. Then again, I don't particularly like the idea, so I don't really hang out with most of my classmates.

Originally posted by periodic
I briefly considered inviting my dad to come to Duke this weekend, but there's not really a chance for him to come or events that he could take part in himself ...Anyway, it would be so he could tour around some of these medical establishments he's always hearing about and has colleagues from (and which both of my parents have worked hard to let me attend), but never had the chance to attend himself...

Can't speak for other schools, but Duke has a schmanky parents' weekend in the spring with lots of food, lectures, tours, the Student-Faculty Show, and so forth. Kinda like a second look weekend for the folks.

Ah yeah, I forgot to say I realized there would be opportunities later too, at whatever school I ended up at.

Thanks for the info, omores.