Second looks in Psych - good or bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goldenhair

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out there are mixed reviews on SDN about whether second looks are good for you. Can they really hurt in Psychiatry :caution:? Some programs do tell/hint they want the applicants to come and it will be to the applicant's advantage. Some programs say we don't care if you come or not - it will not affect the ranking. I am confused what are the cases when it WOULD hurt.
I honestly want to visit a program i am thinking of ranking #1 - just for myself to see it again, they told they dont' care if you come in or not, won't affect the ranking. I want to see more residents because on my interview day I feel i haven't seen enough and I also have plenty of questions. Should I go anyway?

Another question, what is expected of you during the second look day? Are you supposed to impress them or just to be quiet and talk to residents when there is time? Any ideas? If you are attending rounds or didactics, are you expected to actively participate in them? :)

Members don't see this ad.

A second look, if you take one, should be about meeting YOUR needs and getting YOUR questions answered. It is useful if you want to meet with specific faculty who weren't available on your interview day, or if you're wanting to get another look at the community with a significant other in tow, etc. It's not likely to impress them so much, though it gives the program an opportunity to try to impress you, if they're so inclined--and it certainly does display a higher level of interest on your part. (Think of it as having dinner with the S.O.'s parents after the first date!) It should only hurt you if you act like a complete idiot, entitled, arrogant, antisocial, or clueless--so if you're prone to such things, best to skip it and keep yourself shrouded in mystery until Match Day.

I just found out there are mixed reviews on SDN about whether second looks are good for you. Can they really hurt in Psychiatry :caution:? Some programs do tell/hint they want the applicants to come and it will be to the applicant's advantage. Some programs say we don't care if you come or not - it will not affect the ranking. I am confused what are the cases when it WOULD hurt.
I honestly want to visit a program i am thinking of ranking #1 - just for myself to see it again, they told they dont' care if you come in or not, won't affect the ranking. I want to see more residents because on my interview day I feel i haven't seen enough and I also have plenty of questions. Should I go anyway?

Another question, what is expected of you during the second look day? Are you supposed to impress them or just to be quiet and talk to residents when there is time? Any ideas? If you are attending rounds or didactics, are you expected to actively participate in them? :)

If you have already read through the SDN threads and observed that previous posters have arrived at no substantive conclusions, why are you starting a new thread on a topic that has been discussed ad nauseam?

The primary reason for an applicant not matching is an uncompetitive application. No amount of second-looking will change this.

-AT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your answers!

OPD, this is very helpful.
Atsai, I asked because I didn't find information about second looks that is specific to Psych applicants.

As always, OPD gave an eloquent answer that is hard to beat. But I would just second (no pun intended) his response. Going on a second look is not going to hurt you and if you want to go back to have some questions answered, then by all means, go back. I went on 3 second looks and every place went out of their way to help me. It was very helpful in my rank order to return to these places. But not everyone needs to go on 3 second looks, if any. (I went to that mainly because I coupled matched and we needed more info for the 2 of us.)

A second look, if you take one, should be about meeting YOUR needs and getting YOUR questions answered. It is useful if you want to meet with specific faculty who weren't available on your interview day, or if you're wanting to get another look at the community with a significant other in tow, etc. It's not likely to impress them so much, though it gives the program an opportunity to try to impress you, if they're so inclined--and it certainly does display a higher level of interest on your part. (Think of it as having dinner with the S.O.'s parents after the first date!) It should only hurt you if you act like a complete idiot, entitled, arrogant, antisocial, or clueless--so if you're prone to such things, best to skip it and keep yourself shrouded in mystery until Match Day.

Agree with everything....However, don't you think it would be a little creepy for your kids SO to ask you to dinner only after their 2nd date? :D

Agree with everything....However, don't you think it would be a little creepy for your kids SO to ask you to dinner only after their 2nd date? :D
I fortunately don't know yet :scared:, but I do know that my MiL started the process of fattening me up before I'd even gotten to the first good lip-lock with Mrs. OPD. :laugh:

Hello Dr. Curmudgeon -- If a program sends you an invitation to a second look weekend, and you can't go (because it's across the country and you're out of money from your previous 3 trips across the country), should you write a letter of explanation to the program and re-express interest?

Hello Dr. Curmudgeon -- If a program sends you an invitation to a second look weekend, and you can't go (because it's across the country and you're out of money from your previous 3 trips across the country), should you write a letter of explanation to the program and re-express interest?

An invitation like that is a definite suggestion that the program is seriously interested in you, so if you reciprocate the sentiment, but just can't work it into your schedule, but still hope they might be asking you to the Big Dance in March, it would be a great time to send a Valentine... (OK, I've GOT to stop this dating crap...sorry...I may be a curmudgeon, but I'm also a bit of a romantic...)

To repeat--it would be a great opportunity to say that you're honored & pleased by the invitation, and that while you'd be delighted to come back and visit, you can't fit it into your schedule just now, but you would be happy to hear from them again on March 17. It might further the conversation if you asked a question or two of the sort that you might have asked if you had visited. (And IMHO, an invitation like this might be best declined by phone call to the program coordinator, or even the PD if offered directly. That way they can hear the sincere enthusiasm in your voice...) OTOH, if you're not interested, there's no harm in a polite "no thank you".