Second-Looks/Revisits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaNEM

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We've got a thread for who's going to be at interviews, so why not start one to see who'll be going to second-look visits? Most of these won't be for a few more months, but some are earlier, like UPitt. Anyone else going to be at there Jan 10-12?

Members don't see this ad.

The director at my one MD/PhD acceptance, UMaryland, just told me to call him early next year some time and he'd schedule something for me then. Seems like they do their second looks on a person-by-person basis. In a way this is kind of cool, because it really shows personal attention. But in a way this is kind of bad, because you won't get to meet your potential future classmates.

Ah well... Too bad I won't be at Pitt with you, since I got a big ol rejection! :D

Originally posted by Neuronix
The director at my one MD/PhD acceptance, UMaryland, just told me to call him early next year some time and he'd schedule something for me then. Seems like they do their second looks on a person-by-person basis. In a way this is kind of cool, because it really shows personal attention. But in a way this is kind of bad, because you won't get to meet your potential future classmates.

Ah well... Too bad I won't be at Pitt with you, since I got a big ol rejection! :D

Yeah, Georgetown MD/PhD emailed me to schedule a second-look also, and asked me to give them a date. I picked Jan 17 and they said ok, so I guess that's done on a one-on-one basis as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's a second-look/revisit?

Thanks!

Originally posted by canadagirl
What's a second-look/revisit?

Thanks!

Typically, at an interview, the school tries to sell itself to you, but you also have the job of selling yourself to the school. During a second look, it's 100% the school selling itself to you. They typically tell you more about the program, let you talk to research faculty and students, get the lay of the land. They almost always cover full expenses. Most schools do second looks for the students they accept, but some (like Pitt) have their second looks before final decisions, and getting invited to the second look is simply another stepping stone in the process where some move on and some don't make the cut.

I have my Georgetown recruitment visit scheduled for January 17th, too. See you there, CaNEM.

Originally posted by karnos
I have my Georgetown recruitment visit scheduled for January 17th, too. See you there, CaNEM.

Cool. =)

I sent you a PM.

yo canem,

I'll see you in Pittsburgh!!!! :)

--Nooreen

Any one going for Second look at UCSD. I'm trying to figure out if it is one on one or not.

Hey! I'll see you two at second look weekend. By the way, my student host said that there is no evaluation during that weekend, although acceptances haven't formally been given out. Also, there is the possibility of waitlist...

Originally posted by bruinbear26
Hey! I'll see you two at second look weekend. By the way, my student host said that there is no evaluation during that weekend, although acceptances haven't formally been given out. Also, there is the possibility of waitlist...

Why do you think Pitt does the second look before final decisions? Kinda cruel if you go a second time but don't get in!

Maybe they want to gauge how committed you are to actually attending, so that they don't extend acceptances to those that are unlikely to come? That's just a random guess since I know nothing about this... :)

Originally posted by canadagirl
Maybe they want to gauge how committed you are to actually attending, so that they don't extend acceptances to those that are unlikely to come? That's just a random guess since I know nothing about this... :)

Yes, this is what I have heard from the students who attend programs that do this (Pitt, Baylor). Personally, I think it's very inconsiderate to the applicants and selfish of the programs. Hopefully all of the schools that still do this will abolish this practice in the years to come.

Last year when I applied to Pitt I got an invitation for the revisit weekend I was curious if it was an acceptance or if I was still being evaluated.

I went to Pitt's website and there was a little blurb implying that if you are invited to the 2nd look, its basically a de facto acceptance, although they dont notify you officially till a little later.

http://www.mdphd.pitt.edu/brochure/perspective.html

Here's an excerpt from the link above:

Student involvement extends to recruiting new generations of physician-scientists to Pittsburgh. Students have an extraordinary opportunity to organize the second look weekend for applicants who have been offered acceptance into the program. Accepted applicants are invited to revisit the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and the campus, spend additional time with the faculty and students over dinner, and to explore the city in a less structured environment.

Perhaps they changed their process this year, but I dont know of anybody last year who got invited to the 2nd look but did not get accepted. Maybe it has something to do with who gets the full funding offers.

good luck guys

Hi, I'll be at Pitt 10-11 Jan. I was quite impressed by the people out there, and all of the resources I would need are available there. I can't say that it is my #1 choice, but I am considering skipping another interview to be able to revisit Pitt.