1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

second...post...ever

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Delicate Genius, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Delicate Genius

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey all,

My first post was in the "new members" forum, but I don't think anyone reads that much, so I will also introduce myself here.

I am currently a rising senior at a small college in NYC. I plan on applying to medical school next cycle, however a small part of me still wants to apply to physical therapy (my first love :love: ). I am also enrolled in an EMT-B class, which is the source of my first question on these forums. So here it is:

Has any one taken an EMT-B course at a hospital instead of a community college/university? I have heard that EMT-B classes effect your GPA, but my hospital doesn't give out transcripts. Anyone run into a situation such as this. I plan on listing it on my AMCAS, but as an activity, or under education?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

My EMT-B training was through the hospital. No transcript and doesn't factor into the GPA calculations. List it as an activity, although ideally you'd list your work as an EMT-B versus your training as an EMT-B.

4. Delicate Genius

2+ Year Member

Thanks. I actually voly for an ambulance corps in my neigborhood, so I'll be getting tons of experience as a tech there. However, I am getting excellent patient care experience in the ER at the hospital (~150 hours) as part of my training, and I would like to put that as a seperate experience. Plus, my best LOR will probably be comming from the ER doc I work with, so it would be a no brainer to list it. :)

5. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

I'm impressed that you're getting 150 hours of ED clinicals as an EMT-B student. We were only required to have 40 hours total of field work before we graduated (16 ED, 24 ambulance). I think you'll have more ED clinical time that I had in my total EMT-B course!

6. moonbunnie

moonbunnie Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If your true love is physical therapy, why don't you go to physical therapy school? Just wondering :)

7. Delicate Genius

2+ Year Member

Actually, only 16 hours are required (8 in er, 8 in ambulance or 16 in er). So in that respect, your program is more impressive :) . However, we can do as many additional rotations as we want and since I'm loving the experience that i'm getting in the er so much, I decided to do one or two rotations each week during the program. I have no interest in riding on the ambulance, since I'll get all the experience I need by volunteering at an ambulance corps.

8. Delicate Genius

2+ Year Member

Physical therapy is my "first" love, not my "true" love :D .

I was pre-physical therapy throughout undergrad and only last semester I changed my concentration to pre-med (the only difference is orgo). I did so not because I stopped liking PT, but because I was exposed to (and I really enjoyed) other parts of medicine through internships/volunteering.

The truth is I still love physical therapy, but the transition from a masters to a doctorate program (3 years!!) without any additional compen$ation or respect is a bit hard to swallow. By applying to medical school, it not only opens more doors for me, but it also doesn't limit me to a career in rehabilitation if I decide to pursue another field.

Plus, in only an additional year, I could become an M.D/D.O and start a residency in physical medicine and rehabiliatation (I believe it is 3-4 years.) if rehabilitation is still the route I want to pursue.

9. rcd

rcd .2K Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    two...hundred...and...forty...second...post...ever

10. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You may want to do something about that hair. It's a little... old fashioned! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: