1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

second...post...ever

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Delicate Genius, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Delicate Genius

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey all,

My first post was in the "new members" forum, but I don't think anyone reads that much, so I will also introduce myself here.

I am currently a rising senior at a small college in NYC. I plan on applying to medical school next cycle, however a small part of me still wants to apply to physical therapy (my first love :love: ). I am also enrolled in an EMT-B class, which is the source of my first question on these forums. So here it is:

Has any one taken an EMT-B course at a hospital instead of a community college/university? I have heard that EMT-B classes effect your GPA, but my hospital doesn't give out transcripts. Anyone run into a situation such as this. I plan on listing it on my AMCAS, but as an activity, or under education?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

My EMT-B training was through the hospital. No transcript and doesn't factor into the GPA calculations. List it as an activity, although ideally you'd list your work as an EMT-B versus your training as an EMT-B.

4. Delicate Genius

2+ Year Member

Thanks. I actually voly for an ambulance corps in my neigborhood, so I'll be getting tons of experience as a tech there. However, I am getting excellent patient care experience in the ER at the hospital (~150 hours) as part of my training, and I would like to put that as a seperate experience. Plus, my best LOR will probably be comming from the ER doc I work with, so it would be a no brainer to list it. :)

5. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

I'm impressed that you're getting 150 hours of ED clinicals as an EMT-B student. We were only required to have 40 hours total of field work before we graduated (16 ED, 24 ambulance). I think you'll have more ED clinical time that I had in my total EMT-B course!

6. moonbunnie

moonbunnie Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If your true love is physical therapy, why don't you go to physical therapy school? Just wondering :)

7. Delicate Genius

2+ Year Member

Actually, only 16 hours are required (8 in er, 8 in ambulance or 16 in er). So in that respect, your program is more impressive :) . However, we can do as many additional rotations as we want and since I'm loving the experience that i'm getting in the er so much, I decided to do one or two rotations each week during the program. I have no interest in riding on the ambulance, since I'll get all the experience I need by volunteering at an ambulance corps.

8. Delicate Genius

2+ Year Member

Physical therapy is my "first" love, not my "true" love :D .

I was pre-physical therapy throughout undergrad and only last semester I changed my concentration to pre-med (the only difference is orgo). I did so not because I stopped liking PT, but because I was exposed to (and I really enjoyed) other parts of medicine through internships/volunteering.

The truth is I still love physical therapy, but the transition from a masters to a doctorate program (3 years!!) without any additional compen$ation or respect is a bit hard to swallow. By applying to medical school, it not only opens more doors for me, but it also doesn't limit me to a career in rehabilitation if I decide to pursue another field.

Plus, in only an additional year, I could become an M.D/D.O and start a residency in physical medicine and rehabiliatation (I believe it is 3-4 years.) if rehabilitation is still the route I want to pursue.

9. rcd

rcd .2K Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    two...hundred...and...forty...second...post...ever

10. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You may want to do something about that hair. It's a little... old fashioned! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: