second qbank: kaplan vs usmlerx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPicard

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I obviously intend on going UWorld, but between kaplan and usmlerx, which is better?

What would be more suitable for a person intending to break 260? My impression is USMLERx is good for nailing down the more high yield information, which of course is necessary for any high score since you don't want to drop free points. But are the minutiae tested in Kaplan actually worth it?

What about mixing and matching various sections of usmlerx and kaplan? What are their strengths?

Finally, how much time can I expect to have to spend on either Qbank? I'm considering sort of rushing through whichever one I pick, looking over the answers for only incorrect and guessed-correct questions. UWorld I can then sink more time into.

PS: just one more thing: is goljan relevant to step 1 anymore? I'm almost done with pathoma, and am considering giving a quick run through to goljan over a week. Worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

all of your Questions are answered hundered of times.. nothing new. every one ask the same.

Reactions: 1 user
It all depends on your Med school performance and the amount of time available.

However, generally speaking:

1. If you are aiming for 260 then I suggest doing all three QBanks since each one teaches you something. Read these threads to get some idea about the individual QBanks:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/kaplan-qbank-vs-usmlerx-vs-uworld.905789/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/kaplan-qbank-vs-usmlerx-qmax.597989/

2. You can mix and match to suit your learning style as each one has their unique strengths:
  • USMLERx is good for learning FA
  • UW is great for learning overall
  • Kaplan stresses your brain to think like on the test day.
3. Depends how much time you can spare in a day. On an average it takes 1/2 to 2 hrs to review a block (depending on the QBank), So, 1 + 1/2 hr (USMLRx) to 1+2 hrs (UW).

4. Goljan RR will always be relevant. At the minimum go through the pictures/diagrams and blue margin notes.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks transposony, that was very helpful. I think I'll see if I can go through all 3. UW with more scrutiny, so I plan on setting aside ~20 days for it. And if I can manage 200/day for the other two, then all 3 might be feasible.