Second thoughts about BSN? Medicine calling me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that someone here has experienced or is experiencing something like what I am. I am in my last semester of pre-requisites for my BSN program. I applied in February to the BSN program and will find out around May 16th. I have a 4.0 in my sciences and about 3.7-3.8 overall and got a surprising 95.9 on the TEAS (entrance exam). Sounds great right? Well at first yes, but now I'm seriously questioning everything that I've worked for. Since last semester I've been trying to decide if I have the strength and time for med school. I have two kids and am separated from my husband. We are working on things now, going to counseling etc, and things are really getting a lot better. Point there is that I don't know if I'll have to support system I'd need to go through 9 years of school and residency.

I've been reading this site forever it seems, and have read a lot about the differences between nursing and medicine. I know I'm not one bit interested in nursing theory. Anyone out there have any insight? I don't think I would be satisfied by nursing. The more science classes I take the more I love the idea of medicine. I have a huge curiosity about diagnosing, decision making, and possibly being a surgeon. I’m honestly more into the science of life than actual bedside care taking.

This got long! I'm looking to hear from people that are planning to go though this process that are in a similar situation. I'd also LOVE opinions on whether I should keep the nursing major with a bio minor for med pre requisites, or ditch it for a biological science major. I've seen how some are put down for similar questions, but like the rest, I think my situation is different and deserves some attention. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi sgp- welcome!
Can't say I have a whole lot of insight to offer- just a caution to pass along from an admissions dean at a school that I heard talk. He said that they frown upon people that get a degree in nursing and then apply to med school (like right after- they seem to love nurses that have worked for several years and then have gone back). Reason being that since there is a nursing shortage, they feel those spots should go to people that will be working as nurses.

I have met a female doc that had a kid before med school, and second kid in first year, and then divorced by third year. She made it work somehow, but I'm sure it wasn't easy. I hope for the best with you and your husband.

I know how you feel. I was in your exact situation a year ago (academically, no kids or marriage or anything).

I guess that I think that you should do what you really feel like you should do. I don't think you should go into nursing if that's not what you really want. Of course, you can always get a MSN and do more practitioner type things that way.

Or if you're really not into nursing theory or the timeline of med school, have you thought about the PA route? Less time, science based, and good money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do love hearing about single mothers that make it happen! I hope that's not what I have to look forward to but it's good to know that is and can be done.

Thanks for both of your replies. I've looked into PA school a bit. I have a rather large desire to be "the expert" and in charge, but I don't know how realistic that is while also wanting to be a present mother. I know I couldn't be (in charge) as a PA so as of now I'm not feeling too inclined to go that direction. It does seem to be a good compromise as opposed to nursing though.

It makes a lot of sense that schools wouldn't want fresh RN grads. I would feel pretty guilty taking a spot from someone who passionately wanted to become a nurse. At the same time, I think it would be a great "fall back on" degree. Ugh. :oops:

sgp

The only thing that can stop you from going to med school is yourself. I've heard that unsubstantiated info floating around that med schools frown on applicants with nursing backgrounds but I don't think that's true - at least not in all schools as I know some doctors and current medical students who started out as nurses.

And I would advice you to continue with nursing as your major in a 4 year college. That way, if you don't get into med school or you change your mind again or family commitment prevents you from the long training required to become a physician, you can have something to fall back on.

The only thing that can stop you from going to med school is yourself. I've heard that unsubstantiated info floating around that med schools frown on applicants with nursing backgrounds but I don't think that's true - at least not in all schools as I know some doctors and current medical students who started out as nurses.

And I would advice you to continue with nursing as your major in a 4 year college. That way, if you don't get into med school or you change your mind again or family commitment prevents you from the long training required to become a physician, you can have something to fall back on.

That's what about 1/8 of my brain is nagging me to do. I usually end up listening to the other 7/8 which is much more impulsive, confident, and passionate! =) If I didn't have kids I don't think I'd have that 1/8 of "what if it doesn't work out?". I appreciate your opinion. It's one that I don't hear much so it helps me to think more about that option.

sgp