Second Thoughts - Medicine ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koercive

Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having second thoughts now (3rd year of undergrad). From pre-med, I've switched over to pre-pharm thinking it would be less stressful and less of a burden on my life. Now, I don't know if I should switch back to pre-med, stick with pre-pharm, or go for business (which is my main interest); I feel completely lost now. I've kept up a pretty good gpa throught my last 3 years (3.66 overall, 3.5 bcpm), and I would feel it would be a "waste" if I didn't get into pharm/med school.

I only have 1 summer of research , but I've held an executive board positon in my org for this year. In addition, I am currently working full time in real estate (have my california real estate license) while attending my university as a full-time student (I'm always taking the minimum amount of units though in order to have time for other things). I plan on doing more research to build my resume up. I think I have a pretty decent chance at making a med school / pharm school somewhere, but my dilemma is whether I want to pursue this career path. I don't want to end up getting in somewhere and dropping out.

To be honest with all you, I love to party and have a good time. I've gotten to the point where I can have a good time but also manage my time to study for those harder classes such as o-chem, bio, etc. as well as balance out all my responsibilities (also helps that I'm not a bio major and that I have an easy major). I can handle managing many responsibilities, but I don't know if I can sit down and study for numerous hours every week. I don't know if I want to completely give up my life (social aspects, etc.) in pursuit of a career.

I feel I'm not the "traditional" pre-med student who intrinsically wants to do medicine solely for the purpose of helping people out. Honestly, I'm one of those people who would enjoy ALL the perks of medicine: the stable career, making my parents proud, status, and knowing at the end of my life, I did directly help out people. Working in real estate has made me more money driven; in today's California housing market, you need to make GOOD money to own a DECENT house. I've seen so many foreclosures and bad things happen to people because they couldn't just make their payments. In my childhood, I've seen my parents suffer from fluctuating incomes month to month because they were self-employed. Although they aren't forcing me into a particular career, they highly recommend I get into medicine. I could stay in real estate and go for my broker's license, but I want a STABLE career.

As for now, I am probably going to finish up pre-reqs for pre-pharm and pre-med, take a year off, and then decide. I've thought about joint programs MBA/MD, pharmD/MBA, MPH/MD, etc. I'd much rather work in a management type position than working in research or in a clinical environment. As it is the end of my 3rd year, I feel I'm at a fork in the road needing to make a decision soon.

anyone else feel this way with second thoughts?

Is med school and pharm school's lifestyles similiar?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having second thoughts now (3rd year of undergrad). From pre-med, I've switched over to pre-pharm thinking it would be less stressful and less of a burden on my life. Now, I don't know if I should switch back to pre-med, stick with pre-pharm, or go for business (which is my main interest); I feel completely lost now. I've kept up a pretty good gpa throught my last 3 years (3.66 overall, 3.5 bcpm), and I would feel it would be a "waste" if I didn't get into pharm/med school.

Why wouldn't you study what interests you? Don't choose medicine or pharmacy for money, or prestige, or because you've already taken the prereqs and don't want to "waste" it. Those are ill-advised reasons.

Pursue what interests you; what you have a passion for. Otherwise, you're likely to wind up 30 years old, $250k in debt, and grouchy as hell with no one but yourself to blame.

-z