Second time applicant. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefuldogtor21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! Second time applicant here. I recently did a few file reviews after receiving multiple rejections and I’ve honestly never felt so defeated. The common theme was the same all around: my grades from 5+ years ago bring my cGPA down significantly. Currently.. my last 45 is around 3.8, maybe higher after graduation. Science is around 3.4. Neither seemed to matter with the retakes and poor attempts from so long ago. Unfortunately.

I have over 5,000 small animal experience hours between the ICU, ER and GP. Research experience. Years of volunteering. Aside from my own horses and classes I’ve taken, very limited large animal experience.

I graduate in May and plan to reapply this upcoming cycle.

I obviously can’t do anything about my grades from years ago so I feel like this is impossible. Does anyone have anyyyyy advice on things I can do to be a better applicant? Volunteer? Internships?

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you apply this cycle vs where do you intend on applying to this next cycle? What is your cGPA? What classes did you retake and what were the original grades vs the new grades? Did you have any volunteering outside of animals? Did you list any leadership or extracurriculars?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there! Second time applicant here. I recently did a few file reviews after receiving multiple rejections and I’ve honestly never felt so defeated. The common theme was the same all around: my grades from 5+ years ago bring my cGPA down significantly. Currently.. my last 45 is around 3.8, maybe higher after graduation. Science is around 3.4. Neither seemed to matter with the retakes and poor attempts from so long ago. Unfortunately.

I have over 5,000 small animal experience hours between the ICU, ER and GP. Research experience. Years of volunteering. Aside from my own horses and classes I’ve taken, very limited large animal experience.

I obviously can’t do anything about my grades from years ago so I feel like this is impossible. Does anyone have anyyyyy advice on things I can do to be a better applicant? Volunteer? Internships?
You could also look into doing a masters if you whole heartedly want to continue pursuing vet med and GPA is the only issue.

Members don't see this ad :)

One thing I learned from last year (rejected last year and waitlisted 1 place) is that you need to include EVERYTHING on your application. Hobbies, extra curriculars, volunteerism, even small achievements that you didn’t think was important (deans list etc). It really fleshes you out as a person and makes you unique (i love bird watching which vet schools have found really interesting LOL 🤓). It also sounds like you have such a high last 45 GPA, i would recommend applying to schools that focus on that - Iowa State, KSU etc. While your science GPA is on the “lower side”, i know people who have gotten in with it, especially with your hours in various areas! I would really focus on highlighting positive experiences that helped you realize this profession is what you were called to do in your essays and have your writing center/ multiple people look over your essays. Also LORs from people who will write about you positively.

One thing I learned from last year (rejected last year and waitlisted 1 place) is that you need to include EVERYTHING on your application. Hobbies, extra curriculars, volunteerism, even small achievements that you didn’t think was important (deans list etc). It really fleshes you out as a person and makes you unique (i love bird watching which vet schools have found really interesting LOL 🤓). It also sounds like you have such a high last 45 GPA, i would recommend applying to schools that focus on that - Iowa State, KSU etc. While your science GPA is on the “lower side”, i know people who have gotten in with it, especially with your hours in various areas! I would really focus on highlighting positive experiences that helped you realize this profession is what you were called to do in your essays and have your writing center/ multiple people look over your essays. Also LORs from people who will write about you positively.
Agree with this 100%. First time I included what I thought was important, second time I included everything and I already have 2 acceptances!

• Love
Where did you apply? If your cGPA is low, targeting schools that don't look at it is going to help you out a lot. Minnesota, KSU, ISU, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Echo the sentiment about applying to places where your application is a better fit. Don't apply to OOS schools with very limited OOS seats and high average GPA for accepted applicants. I probably wouldn't apply to the same schools you applied to these past two cycles if the only things you've gotten negative feedback on are things you can't change (your past GPA).

Depending on your life circumstances, if the schools you're talking about here include your IS institution (or if you don't have one) I would consider a move to a state that has a school with a more holistic application review process or that considers grade replacement or last 45 GPA more heavily. It's kind of a radical thing to do but I think it's smart in terms of saving on cost of attendance in the long run. Of course check with the residency requirements of the school you would consider doing that for, if it's an option.

Reactions: 1 users
I was in your shoes and I made it! Don’t give up!

My cGPA was 3.1 from crap grades 10+ years ago as part of my original degree. I don’t recall what my science GPA was but my last 45, which included all of my prereqs, was a 4.0. I did NOT do a masters. Like others have said, focus on applying to schools that don’t use cGPA (LSU, ISU, KSU, UMN) or have a holistic review process (VMCVM and LMU come to mind). The schools that I was outright rejected from were Davis, CSU, Auburn, and Illinois if that helps you at all. And I was interview waitlisted and never called off by UF and Ohio.

My strategy going into my application cycle was to make my application as strong as I could in every other aspect to compensate for my poor cGPA. I had diverse veterinary experiences, no research but I worked in engineering for 10 years and talked about it a bit in my essays, I had a few trusted people give me feedback on my essays, and I submitted more than 3 LORs written by people in various aspects of my life that knew me very well.

If I can do this, you can do this!! :highfive: