Second visits and intention letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sabreman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this thread has already been addressed...

One interviewer at a top 5 school told me that if I was really interested in his program I should write them/call them and let them know my interest, or better yet to have someone from my school call them, because "you know that is the way this match thing really works". I was very disturbed by this remark, I hope he didn't know what he was talking about (he was not the program director). I like that program a lot and it will probably be number 2 or 3 on my list, I don't want to waste time having faculty call them since they aren't my top choice, but I would love to match there if I can't get my top choice. Thoughts?

Also, how important are second visits? My top choice place went out of their way to say that they do not even know when you return for second visits so there is no advantage, but other programs always suggest second visits "for our own benefit". Any more thoughts? All of these programs are far from home and woud be expensive to visit again.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what field you are in but I am going into ob/gyn and someone at a program just told me the same thing. It apparently makes a BIG difference if you write and have someone call on your behalf to your top choice. Programs don't want to go far down their lists so they feel better ranking applicants who they know have expressed interest in their program. The problem is that you can't do it to several programs since program directors talk to one another. Even my advisor told me to make sure I meet with her after the interview season so that she could make any phone calls if I needed them. I plan on waiting until I am finished with my interviews and then rewriting my top choice and having my advisor call. Hope this helps.

I am definitely going for second visits to make known my interest and intention of high ranking. I probably will go on 2 or 3 "second looks" in total. Beforehand, I will call the program director(since I have no one to speak on my behalf) to make sure that I am a strong candidate for that program in the first place, as to waste no one's time. After, I will write a letter to the program director with honest intentions. Then, start taking pepcid 20mg p.o. bid until match day. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
What exactly is a "second look." Do you just show up and walk around and ask more questions? Do they contact you and tell you to come on a second visit?

Yes I would be interested in knowing what entails a "second look".

To the best of my knowledge, any program at which you interview will allow you to come back to speak with them again, have questions answered, etc. This is at YOUR request and should be unnecessary for the match, although it would certainly show your interest in the program. Several of the programs I visited invited us to come back and round with their residents on a separate day, one even said we were welcome to reattend the pre-interview dinner whenever we wanted.

have phone calls from attendings really made a difference for anyone (that you know personally) in the program's rank order?