Second year starts next week..should I skip all classes until the first test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elbowstoopointy

U aware?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Srs...need advice. I am thinking of just skipping all the classes up until my exams. Then, if for some reason I bomb them (doubt it..) I will start going.

Keep in mind our classes have very nicely made syllabi which they test directly from...in my opinion studying at the library at a fast pace is greater than listening to slow lectures all day. Discuss.

ALSO I go to a school with no grades. pure P/F in basic science baby

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have professors that like to add on information onto the syllabus as they teach?
Does your school record lectures? If so, can you view them 2x speed?

If you don't like going to lecture and you don't get extra material from them that will be tested on exams, then why would you go?

I just listenend to lectures on faster speed at home.

I think the only downfall to a non-lecture approach is that it takes a lot more discipline than having info spoon-fed to you by a professor. If you are self-motivated enough to actually keep up and lectures add no additional material then I see no reason to go to lectures.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have professors that like to add on information onto the syllabus as they teach?
Does your school record lectures? If so, can you view them 2x speed?

If you don't like going to lecture and you don't get extra material from them that will be tested on exams, then why would you go?

I just listenend to lectures on faster speed at home.

I think the only downfall to a non-lecture approach is that it takes a lot more discipline than having info spoon-fed to you by a professor. If you are self-motivated enough to actually keep up and lectures add no additional material then I see no reason to go to lectures.

Discipline is not an issue- in fact if I go to class I come home and don't feel like studying, whereas if I don't go to lecture I feel guilty and study at least 8 hours a day.

All lectures pod-casted and viewable 2x speed. Syllabi provided. So unless they secretly turn off the podcast to give secret hints, I don't know why I'd go lol

I actually just read transcribed lectures and did very well during my second year. I find listening and sitting in lecture very tedious especially in a large hall where I feel like falling asleep.

This! Just to make sure that second year works the same as first year for you...

I went to first year classes because we did not have podcasts or syllabi. It was literally just random stuff and we had to kind of guess what would be tested. It was so terrible lol

I'd say at least skim over the relevant syllabus section(10-20 min), then listen to lecture (1.5-2x speed or 1x speed if the material is tough).

Then study in-depth.

I frequently find that lecturers will put all this info into the syllabus but when they actually teach, they stress whatever they think is important (and whatever is important for the test/boards). Then you can focus your in-depth studying accordingly after you have a decent understanding.