Secondaries That Are Already Up Online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gabujabu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what schools have secondaries that have already been posted? I know that Yale and Johns Hopkins have already done so. Knowing this now would be helpful, given the flood of secondary applications that come in during July and the fact that many schools monitor how long it takes you to fill them out. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've found the following online - Texas A&M, UT Southwestern, Texas Tech, UVA (MSTP supp only), Tulane, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Baylor (MSTP supp only), and Yale. I haven't submited my AMCAS yet, but all of these are available regardless.

Please post others you have found!

When are we supposed to fill these out? Do we wait until we receive some sort of notification via email/snail mail? Should we hold off on creating an account (i.e. for Yale) until we hear from them?

Also, is there a thread with secondary questions or something so that we can get the ole wheels turnin' in preparation?

check out the MSAR. if the school automatically sends out secondaries, then fill it out and send it by mid-July.

medicomel said:
check out the MSAR. if the school automatically sends out secondaries, then fill it out and send it by mid-July.

Most of the secondaries have very clear instructions as to when to submit. A few don't care if you submit before AMCAS, most want you to submit after AMCAS has been verified, and just a few that want you to be invited. I am waiting until my AMCAS is verified and I get my MCAT scores before I submit mine. But I'm also turning it all in insanely early b/c I'm leaving the country in July.

BUMP for more?

I have a question about secondaries...

The essays for the Texas schools are all pretty similar... rural medicine, primary care etc. I can manage to write about 150 words. For the TAMU essay thats not a big deal, it says 200 words or less. But the UTSW says 500 words or less and... I just don't feel like 150 words will cut it, but if I put anything else in it seems like filler to me. What would you guys do?

Are you talking about the first essay on SW's 2ndary? It's supposed to be bulleted form anyway. I think I added one extra bulleted point for them.

Or are you talking about the "setting of medical practice" essay?

Members don't see this ad :)
AggieJohn said:
I have a question about secondaries...

The essays for the Texas schools are all pretty similar... rural medicine, primary care etc. I can manage to write about 150 words. For the TAMU essay thats not a big deal, it says 200 words or less. But the UTSW says 500 words or less and... I just don't feel like 150 words will cut it, but if I put anything else in it seems like filler to me. What would you guys do?
That UTSW one is to describe the "setting" in which you will practice medicine. Kinda a wierd question, if you ask me. 500 words seems very long for that one.

jota_jota said:
That UTSW one is to describe the "setting" in which you will practice medicine. Kinda a wierd question, if you ask me. 500 words seems very long for that one.
:laugh: I had to cut mine down!!!

We English majors are too good at BSing for our own good. :rolleyes:

Yes I was talking about the second UTSW question. You had to cut yours down? jeez, I explained the type of area I would want to work, as well as the type of work I would want to be doing and it was only 155 words =/

And nobody said, should I bs some more or am I better off being concise?

AggieJohn said:
Yes I was talking about the second UTSW question. You had to cut yours down? jeez, I explained the type of area I would want to work, as well as the type of work I would want to be doing and it was only 155 words =/

And nobody said, should I bs some more or am I better off being concise?
Eh - are you being honest and giving an accurrate picture of where you want to practice and a very brief "why"? Then I think you're good.

Anastasis said:
Eh - are you being honest and giving an accurrate picture of where you want to practice and a very brief "why"? Then I think you're good.

I just re-read my post.. I shouldn't have said "bs some more..." lol. I was very honest and brief... I guess I will leave it as is and submit it Monday but I just hate to leave it at 155 when it says 500 or less.

AggieJohn said:
I just re-read my post.. I shouldn't have said "bs some more..." lol. I was very honest and brief... I guess I will leave it as is and submit it Monday but I just hate to leave it at 155 when it says 500 or less.
I can sympathize. I always like to fill up the space provided because I never feel like I get my point across. I would be willing to read what you have if you want another set of eyes, but I'm sure whatever you have is fine.

Anastasis said:

Do you guys have any idea what Baylor's question was really asking for? I thought maybe something like the diversity one for TMDSAS (which I finally got off my butt and answered last week)...

Here it is for reference:
Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you,
including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity.
You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information.
2000 character limit.

I couldn't find Northwestern's secondary application online. Can someone give me the link to it? Thanks.

Pemberley said:
Do you guys have any idea what Baylor's question was really asking for? I thought maybe something like the diversity one for TMDSAS (which I finally got off my butt and answered last week)...

Here it is for reference:
Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you,
including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity.
You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information.
2000 character limit.
That's pretty much how I was going to answer Baylor's question. Although, I was going to use my answer to the TMDSAS "Special Experiences" question (not the diversity one) for that one.