Secondaries: To Type or Not to Type?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

WishUponAStar

Hello,

Secondary applications. Should they be typed? Does it matter to ADCOMS? Should it matter to them? Is there a such thing as printing neatly?

If yes to typing, then how does one actually perform that task? Old fashioned electric type writer? Surely a Computer, Word processor, and printer won't do the trick.

Thanks for your input,
W.

Members don't see this ad.

While it is more professional to type secondary applications I chose not to. I hate messing with typewriters. I only applied to KCOM so I don't know how other schools react to the hand written secondary but I got accepted to KCOM so it must have been ok.

I guess that you could always call and speak to an admissions officer or your premed advisor about it.

If you do go with the hand written secondary app make it neat. I had 3 copies of the application in front of me and completely wrote out each sentence on 2 practice sheet before writing it on the final application so I could make sure that the formatting looked nice when I was done.

Good Luck!!

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

I just printed neatly for the most part. For the Touro (CA) school, it required typing out my forms, so instead of getting a typewriter, I just typed my info and short essays out on Word, printed it and cut & pasted manually on to the application. Then I xeroxed a copy so that it looked like I typed right on it. So here is the short form.

1. Typed in Word. Printed the series of fillin the blank info and the essay out on my computer.
2. Cut and pasted onto application.
3. Xeroxed it.
4. Sent in the xeroxed copy- it really looked like I typed everything out. In any case, it looked NEAT- which is the main reason they ask you to type in the first place.

Most schools don't mind if you handwrite- but if the application says TYPED and you don't want to bother with the typewriter- get some glue and scissors.

Sidenote: Why yes, I used to go to happy hour with some guy named Rube Goldberg. Why do you ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
Please type your applications!! See a similar thread (Bad to print application?) on the osteopathic forum.

[This message has been edited by Prof (edited 06-30-2000).]

I wrote my secondary out by hand.

I then had friends read it to be sure it was legible before I sent it in.

I will be starting at OSU-COM in August.

Come on guys/gals, you have to type them! This is not a Mcdonald's job application, it's the rest of your life. Go to a library and TYPE the secondaries.

Roll Tide,
I think we all realize that getting into medical school is not like getting a job at McDonalds. When it came time to do secondaries my premed advisor said that in this age of computers unless the application specified that it had to be typed it was ok to very neatly print it.

My undergrad has the highest percentage of graduating students accepted into medical school in the state. (100% almost every year going to one of their top choices (Allopathic of course, it was not cool to go be a DO)) He must know what he is doing when it comes to the application process.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

I would not write them at all...definitely TYPE THEM. It is just as fast sitting down at the typewriter as it is to write them all out! Typing an application could set you apart from a person with identical ranking and figures so that the committee may choose you over them if they hand wrote their's....YOU'LL NEVER KNOW....so why chance it?