Secondaries: Type or Handwrite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakewill

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are most of you all handwriting the non-online secondaries or using a typewriter?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Three words:

cray...o...la

I don't know what the majority of people did but I wrote them....may not have been the best idea but I don't know anyone who still has a typewriter that I could have borrowed!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this thread a joke? If not, please refer to the Affirmative Action Thread for an answer. :p

I was always a strong supporter of typing the secondary and was told by adcoms, premed advisor, etc. to do so. However, I know many who have received acceptances after not typing the application. It's up to you. If you don't have access to a typewriter don't worry about it, but if you do, typing will always be more presentable.

peace

Type, type, type!

Its hard enough to get an interview as it is, why have something else that might hinder you getting one? You don't know what adcom member you might get; if he/she is against handwriting and think its tacky, it might impact the decision. So why don't you just borrow a typewriter from a friend, or go to a copy shop like Kinkos or something. They have typewriters there.

I suggest typing your secondaries in a monotype cursive font which resembles hand-writing, and then click your heels together three times before tossing the envelope into the mail box.

You think they would have figured out how to make Word or PDF forms by now...

I dont know where the heck Im gonna eventually find a typewriter, they arent at my local Kinkos.

I handwrote all secondaries that weren't online. I didnt know where I could get access to a typewriter, so I just wrote them. I have received 6 interviews to date, as well as 3 acceptances. Obviously, it does not matter whether you handwrite or type.

anyone else fit it odd that Drexel, perhaps one of the most technologically advanced campuses, does not accept electronic transmissions from AMCAS AND has an entirely paper secondary ?

I would recommend typing your secondary unless it's for small things like filling out personal info like name ss etc.
I wrote GW's secondary, did not bother typing it since most of the essays were 4 sentences max.

Originally posted by Diogenes
Three words:

cray...o...la
:laugh: Make sure you use yellow!

Seriously, though...you should always project your professional side to the adcoms. This means that typing your secondaries is a good idea. Of course, handwrite them only if you don't have access to a typewriter.

Thanks for all your replies!

:)