Secondaries--who's gottem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smoke This

Sweet cuppin' cakes!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know who has secondaries and where they are coming from. I have heard that AMCAS is sending on info on applicants before the full transmittal so that med schools can get secondaries out soon. Besides Dart-Mouth :cool:, which I have heard is out, and Yale, which is online, what other places are sending out secondaries already? Please post up.

Members don't see this ad.

Dartmouth.
I got theirs yesterday.
I turned in my AMCAS app on July 1st.

Oops..sorry...
I didn't read your post :p
I didn't see besides..dartmouth..
haha..my bad!

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor's is online, though I haven't heard anything from them. I got a note from U of Rochester saying that they'd send one out pretty soon, and theirs is also online (pdf to print out, though). I've heard from others that Albert Einstein has initiated something as well, though I'm not applying there personally. Hope that helps . . . would love to hear if people are getting others . . .

it looks like UChicago Secondary is online.

I received an email from them today.

UChicago is asking for SAT scores. Why?

legi, I got U of Chicago's today too. Why the hell are they asking for SAT/ACT scores???? I took the SAT test for fun in high school (I had no serious intentions of attending a US college) and scored horribly on the verbal. Do I have to submit them? (I actually called their admissions office and the lady said not to worry if you're from Canada and haven't taken the test.)

Originally posted by moo:
•legi, I got U of Chicago's today too. Why the hell are they asking for SAT/ACT scores???? I took the SAT test for fun in high school (I had no serious intentions of attending a US college) and scored horribly on the verbal. Do I have to submit them? (I actually called their admissions office and the lady said not to worry if you're from Canada and haven't taken the test.)•

I obviously took SAT since I am in the US, but I haven't seen anyone at my school with verbal score lower than mine.
I am thinking about not applying to UChicago since their essay questions are annoying as well.

I got one from Medical College of Wisconsin today. That makes three for me so far.(Dartmouth, Yale, and now MCW) :D I am feeling strangely confident about this whole process now.

Albert Einstein and Mount Sinai are online and I just got one in the mail from UMDNJ, Newark. U Penn's should be out around Agust 1st (they sent an email out)

why SAT?...because they wanna know how bad your verbal compares with those of MCATS..mine is pretty bad :O...hope they realize that english is my third language...
hum, a big situation...$65 and writing 4 other essays???
also, can we guess what our SAT score was?...i have a pretty good estimation...

To answer my own question, I got Dart-Mouth :cool:, UChicago, and UMDNJ-NJMS today. All right! :cool:

just wanting to keep this thread alive. keep 'em coming folks.

The Washington Univ. St. Louis secondary is now available online.

See the thread below for the URL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got Dartmouth's today too... so far then, I've heard from:

Yale
Penn (no secondary yet, just email)
Ohio St. (no secondary yet, just email)
Dartmouth
U of Chicago

Keep em coming!

University of Rochester now has the secondary on-line. However, they state that you should not send it in until they notify you that they have received your AMCAS app. Anyways, its a basic secondary with no extra questions. :D

Got MCW and UConn so far., only 20 more to go! What have I done?!?! Good luck everyone. :p

Don't want to let this thread die. Tulane is now offering the same alternative at Yale and others. See their website.

Did anyone get an email from Harvard? I remember seeing that on a thread, but I can't find it. If so, please post the email as I haven't received it. Thank you.

Received Penn State secondary today. No essay. 50 words to say why you are applying there. Good luck.

wanted to revive this post before it sank to the abyss of studentdoctor :D

GW secondary is out!!!

Woo hoo!

Yep, got the GWU secondary also - nice and short, too!

I got an email from the Univ. of Virginia today giving me the URL link to their secondary application.

The URL is: UVA secondary web page

Just curious, did anybody else get the UVA email? I went to their site and it seemed as if they are implying that your application has been received if they send you the URL.

Of course, I'm probably just reading too much into it.

Don't forget UVA sends secondaries to everyone who applies there. That is why their web site encourages you to think through your decision to send in the secondary and the additional money.

Just wanted to keep this alive. Any new schools? I think someone mentioned receiving a Johns Hopkins secondary. Can anyone confirm this?

Originally posted by baylor21:
•Just curious, did anybody else get the UVA email? I went to their site and it seemed as if they are implying that your application has been received if they send you the URL.

Of course, I'm probably just reading too much into it.•

i got it too baylor21. they said in the email that they got the electronic AMCAS application. I would go check with AMCAS webpage, but we all know how hard that is.

no I called them up...

they don't have the application...

they only have the preliminary info, like name, phone, email address.....

:(

oh well

trying to keep this thread alive. it has moved to page 2 of the site. keep em coming folks!

anybody else get a new secondary these past couple fo days? :(

got johns hopkins yesterday

Originally posted by baylor21:
•Just curious, did anybody else get the UVA email? I went to their site and it seemed as if they are implying that your application has been received if they send you the URL.

Of course, I'm probably just reading too much into it.•
From the IVA supplemental App site:
Welcome to the University of Virginia School of Medicine Supplemental Application website. This web site is for medical school applicants who have already submitted their 2002 AMCAS application to the AMCAS headquarters in Washington, D.C. If you have not yet submitted your AMCAS application, it is probably best to wait until you have completed that stage of the application process before proceeding with the Supplemental Application.
Don't know about anybody else, but since I've submitted to AMCAS, and who knows how long it will take AMCAS to notify UVA that I've designated their school, I'm going to send them a paper copy of my AMCAS app and their supplement!

just got SUNY Upstate and Jefferson

Hey qwert, when did you receive the Jefferson secondary? Was is straightforward or are there a lot of essays? Anyone else get Jefferson's secondary?

md2be06-

I got Jeff's secondary on Friday. I submitted AMCAS on July 15th and have seen no evidence anyone has touched it except the MCAT scores have been added and now I'm getting secondaries.

Jeff's secondary is actually an "Activation Form" which I took to mean something to wrap around your check when you put it in the envelope!! Seriously though, two pages, no essays unless you need to explain a criminal conviction. Mostly just check yes or no to q's like "any family mbrs at Jeff" "are you a Jeff employee" etc.

The secondary also included a Physician Shortage Area Program app which has several short answer-essay q's and requires three *additional* letters of rec.

BTW they infer you should get an automated email and be able to submit online but I'm going to mail it in on Monday and include my AMCAS app even though they didn't ask for it, and a letter explaining why I'll be out of the country for a couple of weeks.

Hope this helps.

Spang

Thanks Spang. I submitted my AMCAS on 7/3. The only thing that's been done to my app is that my MCAT scores have been input. They haven't even begun processing. Well, I still haven't heard anything from Jefferson. If I were you, I'd call and ask if it's ok to include the printed AMCAS app. I e-mailed them about that a while ago, and they specifically stated they were going to wait for an official processed application from AMCAS. If you do call, please let me know what they say. What's up with the automated e-mail? Does it contain a username and password so that you can submit online? Later.

Here's what the letter says:

"Dear Applicant:

Thank you for applying to Jefferson Medical College.

In light of recent AMCAS technical difficulties, we are providing this preliminary mailing which includes a secondary application for Jefferson Medical College. Should you decide to complete this preliminary mailing please do not submit an electronic application when you receive the automated email from our office.

If you have any questions please call our office at 215/955-6983. Thank you.

The Office of Admissions
Jefferson Medical College"

There you have it. I guess I could call and ask about the sending the app but what could it hurt? I've already copied it and I don't think they're going to get it any other way, any time soon. AMCAS is getting better but it's August and they still can't transmit? Sorry but I'm taking the lead on this one and sending it anyway!

Spang

I got Vanderbilt's secondary yesterday. (I sent in a printed copy of my AMCAS app. last week.) It contains two pages to write an "autobiography" and asks about research interests in medical school.

Hey kafka89, I think someone on this board said that the Vanderbilt secondary comes with an interview invitation. Is that true? Maybe since things are so messed up this year, they're not screening for interviews until after the secondary arrives. Anyone know?

md2be06:

that used to be vanderbilt's policy, but this year they are making an exception. Here is a letter someone else posted on this forum

>If you are applying to Vanderbilt University School of Medicine for the
>2002 First Year Class, special instructions should be followed to speed the
>admissions process:
>
>1. Send a printed copy of your AMCAS application to:
>
> Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
> Admissions Office
> 209 Light Hall
> Nashville, TN 37232-0685
>
>2. Send copies of your college transcript(s) directly to the admissions
>office (same address as above).
>
>3. As soon as Admissions receives a copy of your AMCAS application, you
>will automatically be mailed the Vanderbilt secondary application.
> NOTE: This is a major change from our usual procedure. This year
>every applicant who applies to VUMS through AMCAS will be sent a
>Vanderbilt secondary application to complete.
>
> Interviews will be offered after the review of the AMCAS application,
>transcript(s), and Vanderbilt secondary application. Applicants to be
>interviewed will receive interview invitations by mail.
>
>4. Submit your AMCAS application on line. Final decisions regarding your
>application will not be made until we have received your offical AMCAS
> application.
>
>
>
>
>
>Patricia Sagen, Ph.D.
>Director of Admissions
>209 Light Hall
>Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
>Nashville, TN 37232-0685
>(615) 322-2145
>(615) 343-8397 (FAX)
>

I sent them a paper copy because of this and hope to be recieving a secondary soon

Anyone recieved a secondary from the University of Chicago recently? I got a 2nd from Penn State, and then called Chicago and they said they have none of my primary info (name, address...). Thanks.

Just received an email from Univ. of Michigan with the URL link to their online secondary.

what did the michigan thing say? is the online secondary site a secure one or can anyone get there?

I designated Michigan and didn't get that e-mail and can't find it on their website. Can somebody give the address?

Originally posted by bluefish:
•Anyone recieved a secondary from the University of Chicago recently? I got a 2nd from Penn State, and then called Chicago and they said they have none of my primary info (name, address...). Thanks.•

the pritzker secondary is just an email with this link, I got it a week or 2 ago, you dont need a login or anything, so I'd say you can complete it even if they don't have your amcas yet, good luck
http://pritzker.bsd.uchicago.edu/sap2002/

just keeping the thread alive. it was relegated to p2 of the posts. keep em comin folks.