Secondaries with No Essays for 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAbbot7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to post a list of schools with secondaries that have no essays. For many good reasons it could be beneficial as in the case of a lazy person who doesn't want to write essays, a person who doesn't have time to write essays or if someone wants to add a couple schools to their amcas and get the app processed quickly. So far I know of these:

No Essays on secondaries:

University of Pennsylvania
New York Medical College

I have also heard there aren't any for the medical college or wisconsin and jefferson but have yet to confirm these

Members don't see this ad.

New York Medical College
medical college or wisconsin
jefferson
Saint Louis
Drexel
Tufts
UMDNJ - Robert Wood Johnson
Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University

Members don't see this ad :)
So far the list is:

New York Medical College
Jefferson (Optional 500 character statement)
University of Saint Louis
Drexel University
Tufts

If anyone has heard of any others please feel free to post.

So far the list is:

Drexel University
Medical College or Wisconsin
New York Medical College
NYU
Tufts

Tufts from 2006:

Is there an personal reason or circumstance/history that motivates you to attend TUSM in particular or to study in Boston, as opposed to attending another school or studying in another city? (Directions state that a simple “no” is typical and acceptable.) They also ask you to list any family members who have gone to tufts.

aka there is an essay but its "optional"

So far the list is:

New York Medical College
Drexel University
Tufts (Optional brief essay)
NYU

Buffalo and MSU - MSU asks for essays after extending interview invites apparenty.

Bill Mcneal said:
Buffalo and MSU - MSU asks for essays after extending interview invites apparenty.
MSU being michigan state?

So far the list is:

New York Medical College
Drexel University
NYU
Buffalo
MSU (essay after interview invite?)

New York Medical College
Drexel University
UMDNJ - NJMS (no essay for instate applicants)
NYU
Buffalo

Whatcha got against alphabetical order? ;)

You can also add SUNY Upstate.

you can add university of rochester to that list

Members don't see this ad :)
Buffalo
Drexel University
New York Medical College
NYU
Saint Louis University
SUNY upstate
Tulane
University of Oklahoma
University of Rochester

Drexel's not out yet. Are you going from previous years? :confused:

If anyone has received the secondary from Drexel or Tufts please confirm whether or not the secondary has an essay

Keep posting if you find any others with no essays

I think you made a mistake putting Tulane on the list. They DO have a few essays.

Yes and if you are out of school you have to write a statement for NYU about what you've been doing.

Buffalo
New York Medical College
NYU (essay for applicants who have been out of school)
Saint Louis University
SUNY upstate
University of Oklahoma
University of Rochester

TheAbbot7 said:
I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to post a list of schools with secondaries that have no essays. For many good reasons it could be beneficial as in the case of a lazy person who doesn't want to write essays, a person who doesn't have time to write essays or if someone wants to add a couple schools to their amcas and get the app processed quickly.

You do realize that the more lazy folk on SDN you encourage to apply to these schools by selling the no essay policy, the lower your odds of admission get at any of these places... :confused:

Law2Doc said:
You do realize that the more lazy folk on SDN you encourage to apply to these schools by selling the no essay policy, the lower your odds of admission get at any of these places... :confused:
The folks that are so out of it that they choose which schools to apply to based on which ones do not have secondaries are rarely the competition.

Law2Doc said:

I smell a little bit of gunner coming out from you, Law :laugh:

notdeadyet said:
The folks that are so out of it that they choose which schools to apply to based on which ones do not have secondaries are rarely the competition.

Not necessarilly. Someone who had top credentials and planning on applying to a handful of schools but starting to second guess themselves might add a few such schools. Also none of the August MCATers know how competitive they are yet, and to get complete quicker, might be inclined to add a few low effort apps. :idea:

Wright State Ohio has no essay prompts.

does anyone know about suny downstate? there were no essays last year, but who knows.

Suny Downstate has a few short answers.... if you surf around on their website you can download the secondary.

Buffalo
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Saint Louis University
SUNY upstate
University of Oklahoma
University of Rochester
Wright State University Boonshoft SOM (Ohio)

Has anyone received a Drexel Secondary yet so we can confirm or deny whether or? not they have an essay on their secondary

What about the 8 line prompt for George Washington?

tomorrowgirl99 said:
What about the 8 line prompt for George Washington?

I don't think something that is a maximum of 8 lines and can even be answered in list form is an essay...

University of Colorado will be removing their "Why CU" essay from their application this year. Apparently the ADCOM has tired of reading essays about mountains, skiing, Denver, etc. They still have an optional short answer question where the applicant can include any additional information not mentioned on the AMCAS.

MileHighCajn said:
University of Colorado will be removing their "Why CU" essay from their application this year. Apparently the ADCOM has tired of reading essays about mountains, skiing, Denver, etc. They still have an optional short answer question where the applicant can include any additional information not mentioned on the AMCAS.

Umm ok. But there are still two other essays you have to write? I am failing to see how your post belongs in this thread :confused:

narc said:
Umm ok. But there are still two other essays you have to write? I am failing to see how your post belongs in this thread :confused:

I wouldn't qualify the other two questions on the CU application as essays. The first question allows you to list any additional information that isn't on the AMCAS and the other question is for individuals who feel they need to explain themselves in more depth. Almost no one I know who applied to CU filled out the optional question and most responses to the 'additional information' question aren't more than a paragraph. I consider myself an extremely lazy individual, but those two questions hardly constitute essays.

MileHighCajn said:
I wouldn't qualify the other two questions on the CU application as essays. The first question allows you to list any additional information that isn't on the AMCAS and the other question is for individuals who feel they need to explain themselves in more depth. Almost no one I know who applied to CU filled out the optional question and most responses to the 'additional information' question aren't more than a paragraph. I consider myself an extremely lazy individual, but those two questions hardly constitute essays.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say you have no focking clue what you are talking about.
U of Col secondary this year.
“Write a brief essay on two of the five possible topics listed below. Choose only two topics, and write one essay on each topic (one per box). Please limit each essay to 2500 characters (approximately 250 words).”

narc said:
I am going to go out on a limb here and say you have no focking clue what you are talking about.
“Write a brief essay on two of the five possible topics listed below. Choose only two topics, and write one essay on each topic (one per box). Please limit each essay to 2500 characters (approximately 250 words).”

narc is right. and i would definitely consider them essays.

Buffalo
Medical College of Wisconsin
Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC)
New York Medical College
Saint Louis University
SUNY upstate
University of Oklahoma
University of Rochester
Wright State University Boonshoft SOM (Ohio)

EDIT: I should clarify. If you were originally a South Carolina resident, but are now applying from OOS, you need to explain your strong ties to SC.

narc said:

I was simply quoting the dean of admissions when I met with him in June. He didn't mention additional essays, but apparently they have decided to include even more.

I guess we could add George washington sort of. It has 2 essay but one says to only answet it if you were out of school and keep the answer to only 3 lines of space. The other "essay" says just say why you want to go to GW on the 8 lines below so yes it has 2 essays but I would say they are pretty laughable.

Penn State limits you to 50 words for their questions.... not exactly essays.

Do these "without essays" secondaries give you space to say anything of substance at all? Or if something potentially relevant develops between the time I submit AMCAS and these schools' secondaries do I have to write them a separate update letter?

No Essays (not even a secondary)
University of Texas at Galveston
University of Texas at San Antonio
University of Texas at Houston

Texas Tech - No essays.

Where was this thread when I was turning in my AMCAS in July!? Oh well, if you're just now turning in your AMCAS. Good Luck.

Pkboi24 said:
Where was this thread when I was turning in my AMCAS in July!? Oh well, if you're just now turning in your AMCAS. Good Luck.

You can always add schools