Secondaries without MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sukh1980

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Somebody in my class told me that their friend got secondaries from over 30 med schools without having taken the MCAT (planning to take in August). Granted, this person had a 4.0 science and non-science gpa, but still, I thought adcoms wouldn't consider an application until they received MCAT scores. Is this possible?

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible. I have recently returned secondaries from 4 of the 8 schools I applied to. Good luck

I wasn't aware that MCAT scores were necessary before adcoms sent out secondaries. I know people who took their MCATs in August and sent out their secondaries even before the August exam date.
I don't believe that they had stellar qualifications either (ie, 4.0). Is this a new policy? Because I'm taking my MCATs this month.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think many schools will send secondaries to ANYONE who applies to their school; that's why they don't need the MCAT. Many schools will only send secondaries to applicants after screening their stats; thus we will need the MCAT before receiving the secondaries. That's what I think. Hope this helps.

This might be a little late now, but oh well. The vast majority of med schools (~80%) will automatically send a secondary to anyone who designates them on their AMCAS. Thus, for August MCAT takers, you should get your AMCAS in ASAP because at least you can get a lot of your secondaries, and have your applications complete by the time the schools receive your MCAT scores.