Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Secondaries without MCAT?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Sukh1980, Aug 6, 2000.

1. Sukh1980

Sukh1980 Junior Member

Somebody in my class told me that their friend got secondaries from over 30 med schools without having taken the MCAT (planning to take in August). Granted, this person had a 4.0 science and non-science gpa, but still, I thought adcoms wouldn't consider an application until they received MCAT scores. Is this possible?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SCHOOCH

SCHOOCH Member

It is possible. I have recently returned secondaries from 4 of the 8 schools I applied to. Good luck

4. kimg

kimg Junior Member

I wasn't aware that MCAT scores were necessary before adcoms sent out secondaries. I know people who took their MCATs in August and sent out their secondaries even before the August exam date.
    I don't believe that they had stellar qualifications either (ie, 4.0). Is this a new policy? Because I'm taking my MCATs this month.

5. water

water Junior Member

I think many schools will send secondaries to ANYONE who applies to their school; that's why they don't need the MCAT. Many schools will only send secondaries to applicants after screening their stats; thus we will need the MCAT before receiving the secondaries. That's what I think. Hope this helps.

6. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    This might be a little late now, but oh well. The vast majority of med schools (~80%) will automatically send a secondary to anyone who designates them on their AMCAS. Thus, for August MCAT takers, you should get your AMCAS in ASAP because at least you can get a lot of your secondaries, and have your applications complete by the time the schools receive your MCAT scores.