Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

secondaries

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Premed315U, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Premed315U

Premed315U Senior Member

I'm a junior, but i'm interested in knowing what questions various schools ask on their secondaries (harvard, yale, upenn, columbia, hopkins, cornell, tufts). To those of you applying to these and other schools, could you please post some of the secondary questions?

Thanks bunches

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member

Columbia doesn't have a secondary, the primary app is it! :D

Tufts: like Boston U and Mayo, the secondary is basically just an excuse to ask you for more money, except for Tufts makes you type your name and AMCAS ID no. several times, who your LOR writers will be, why you're applying to Tufts (1/4 page), plus they want a picture.

JHU: (about 12 lines, < 2 inches allotted space per question)
    Describe briefly how you selected your undergraduate school and major area of study.
    Briefly describe your most rewarding experience or some achievement of which you are particularly proud.
    Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment:
    Plus some questions about honors, activities, what you've done since graduation & plans for the upcoming year if you've already earned your bachelor's degree, and explain what you did if you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer.

I have no idea if they change these questions from year to year. Just do a search for the other schools (there were some threads devoted to this exact question this summer) if you must know this early, but, hey, what's the rush?

4. serpiente

serpiente Senior Member

Medical Student
    Just wanted to say that while some of these secondaries don't vary from year to year, some do. Also take this year's info with a grain of salt. Many schools restructured or shortened their secondary applications this year to make things easier for applicants becasue of the AMCAS problems. Some secondaries which had essays last year don't this year, or have fewer questions than usual. If AMCAS finally gets everything working maybe some of the secondary appps will be more involved next year.

5. SMW

SMW Grand Member

God, I hope I don't have to reapply next year if that's true! I thought they were way too involved this year. Making us type the same stuff that's already on AMCAS over and over again in lots of different formats, with horrendous and/or meaningless essays thrown in for good measure. :(