Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

secondaries

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by jmanesc, Jul 27, 2000.

1. jmanesc

jmanesc Junior Member

Has anyone recieved secondaries yet? Does anyone know if aacomas has even sent out the apps?

2. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I spoke with Western U yesturday...and they said they haven't even received their first batch yet...they said it is like a month behind...but everyone is equally delayed...so it won't put anyone at a disadvantage...Sucks waiting though...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If you sent in your completed AACOMAS/AMCAS applications in June, then "generally" you can expect to recieve secondaries around the 1st or 2nd week of August.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Nanook

Nanook Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't think we're even going to get them that soon. The web-based thing has apparently slowed them down quite a bit, and they are even farther behind than usual.

Sucks for those of us who rushed to get ours in during the first week in June.

5. Dave

Dave Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree. I put in a lot of time to make sure my application was ready to send in. I need as much as an advantage as possible. Now everyone that waited until July and August will only be a week or so behind me. So much for being prompt.

6. Jengee

Jengee Junior Member

I hate to relay this information, but I heard from someone at a med school tour a week ago that they had spoken with AACOMAS, and they were told that the online application processing service has a bug. It may be 3 or 4 more weeks until the primary applications will be available to DO schools! Sorry guys, I'm just as anxious : (

7. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust
    10+ Year Member

hey what is this? can anyone confirm these statements fa real? i heard that aacomas is making batches, not that there's any bug? can verify if this is true?

8. Rainy Guy

Rainy Guy Junior Member

If they are indeed making "batch" deliveries, then why haven't the schools received *any* applications yet? Shouldn't they have sent in the first "batch" by now, considering that they were submitted two full months ago?

They must have at *least* a couple thousand applications by now. I think it's bogus. The whole thing reflects badly on the Osteopathic medicine community, especially since the allopathic schools have all sent out their secondaries already.

9. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust
    10+ Year Member

This reflects TERRIBLY on the ost med community.

It's bad enough that allopaths think ost med is misguided, uneducated, and STUCK IN THE 1800's, without proving them right with this CRAPPY web service.

They probably have a BUG in the computer, it may NEVER be fixed, and some couple thousand ost med applicants (eager enough to apply early) will NEVER see any secondaries or interviews this year.

Yes ladies and gentlemen, this IS a LITMUS TEST if ost med can hang with the big boys. From the looks of the server problems, maybe NOT.

Are you reading this AACOMAS. I hope you are! You are accountable to inform students about potential dangers to the application, and if AACOMAS is hiding this they have demonstrated incapacity to be an accountable and responsible service to the ost med community. But more importantly you are a blemish on ost med itself and damaging to the students using the online application.

Or maybe i am overreacting.
    I hope AACOMAS proves me wrong.

[This message has been edited by adismo (edited 08-02-2000).]

10. Jengee

Jengee Junior Member

Sigh...I took the initiative to call AACOMAS directly today. I asked them if the rumor was true that there was a bug in their online app service, and they brushed the question off and simply told me that it may be a few more weeks before our primarys can even be sent to the schools!
    I do believe that this is going to reflect badly on the ost. community, but maybe it shouldn't? I mean, it is the first year in doing this applications online. Let's just hope we don't have to redo them!!!

11. dionysius

dionysius Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

i am a firm believer in the whole 'bug' theory. i lost my additional information portion of my aacomas app. twice. the first time i had to completely retype that portion. the second time, miraculously, the entire thing came back to me. my brother said it was God looking out for me. am i bitter? no, because we can all get in a huff over this or we can just ride it through with the satisfaction of knowing that it isn't just my application that is being delayed or messed up. waisting all of your energy being mad at some program isn't going to do anything. it definitely doesn't reflect poorly on osteopathic medicine. if anything it shows that we are all human. we make mistakes and sometimes are programs have 'bugs' in them. we can't help that. we aren't perfect. so give them a break. this waiting period is merely a smidgen of time in the whole scheme of things. use it to your advantage. take some time to study for that mcat or think about how you are going to answer those interview questions you are about to be asked. whatever you do don't give yourself a nervous stomach over this. i don't think that is going to help your cause. because besides being worried you will be miserable also.

12. PV1

PV1

Hey guys...

Anyone know if the paper applications have been processed and that those individuals have received secondaries? I submitted my app online late june...and I would be very upset if the paper apps submitted after my application have already been processed. I hope AACOMAS is being honest with us as I don't wanna find out in a few weeks that we have to re-submit the app. I agree worrying about this will only result in more tension...but I need some reassurance on the matter.

13. Jattdoc

Jattdoc SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I submitted my paper application on June 7th after trying for a week to do it on the computer.., guess what, they lost my transcripts which i already confirmed from them that they had in their possesion before the application season began, it seems to me that i get a totally different response everytime I call depending on who answers the phone, its is like they have a department dedicated to confusing new applicants, so i have resorted to communicating with them using certified mail by writing letters, because then u can a least argue with them...also i spoke with the admissions office at Westren U at Pomona..yesterday..and they have not recieved any primary applications...also if anybody is applying early decision, make sure u guys call the school you are applying to and keep them updated on the status or your application it will insure that you will still be considered early regardless of the delay..

14. Dave

Dave Member
    10+ Year Member

Perhaps we should start a new primary app. service. Just send in your transcripts and mcat scores. Our selling motto can be "half the time, half the money." Serously though this is ridiculous. I paid a lot of money and worked my A#* off to get my app in early. School will be starting soon and I won't have the time that I did this month to get my secondaries completed in a timely matter. I wonder what the ost. schools think of this...

15. youngjock

youngjock Membership Revoked
    Removed

seize the moment. hahaha.

there are so many moments that we may or may not have missed. Sending out our applications late may or may not change our chances of being accepted.

there is nothing we can do, so let's just face the reality.

16. lemon

lemon Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi!I just registered 10 minutes ago. I am trying to get into TUCOM in Mare Island, CA. If you applied there, they have their secondary application and essay question at their website, exactly at: http://209.209.34.25/webdocs/admissions/adindex.htm
    You can have a headstart, but they won't look at it unless you are officially told by them that you have a secondary.