secondary and interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
now we all in the waiting game, and it could be very annoyed :mad:

since some of us might be in the same class next year, why don't we become friend each other right now :)

please share what secondary that you received and interview that you got so far, we might see each other during the interview.

i start with mine: :D

secondary: Upenn, UCLA, Marquette, Creighton
interview: Upenn, Temple

Members don't see this ad.

Secondaries: UofL, UK, UNC, UPenn
Interviews (so far?): UofL, UPenn, Tufts

Maybe I'll see some of you!

Eric

Hi,
Tufts and Temple do not have secondaries?
Tim.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if Tufts has a secondary or not - I have not sent them my Letters of Rec., official transcript, or anything else (basically, I just sent AADSAS and DAT scores) and they still invited me for an interview....weird, huh?

Eric

hi, Eric & Tim

Congratulation on the interview you got! This is the first round review; you will have better chance to get into the dental school that you want. :rolleyes:

for Tim's question, i didnot apply Tuft. Temple does sent you a letter ask for personal info and payment. is that secondary? :confused:

regards

snowman

for those who be interviewed last year in Upenn and Temple, would u share any tip or idea?

almost forget one thing, thanks Eric for the post! but i would not see you in Upenn b/c i can not go philadelphia that early, i am going to have a midterm that time.

anyway, any idea about upenn, temple and philadelphia is greatly appreciated :D

yeah, I actually noticed that some schools grant intervies based just on AADSAS and DAT, even if recommendations and stuff aren't in yet.....this happened to me w/Tufts and U.Maryland-Balt., my two interviews (so far!...).

Waiting,

Good luck with the Tufts interview! I actually decided to decline them and withdraw my application (don't think I would be happy living in Mass., amidst other reasons). Regardless, let me know how it goes! :)

Eric

I went to UPenn's interview last year. The interview wasn't blind but my interviewer had not reviewed my application file before hand. My interviewer basically said, "I'm here to get you to come to our school. Any questions?" The only questions he asked me was why not physician, why penn, and which other schools I have interviewed at. I would ask him questions about the school, but he couldn't answer many of them. He said he'll ask the committee to award me the scholarship which I thought was weird, since he didn't get to know me during the interview at all.

Just relax and be yourself at the interview. Since you have been invited early, you're probably pretty much in, unless you really screw up the interview. I didn't get the impression that other interviewees had a hard time at their UPenn interview.

thanks Chocoba for the Upenn interview tips! i did talk to the people in Upenn, and they are nice and understanding.

now i am just wandering how much it going to cost for the trip since i am in CA, and i applied many east coast schools :eek:

btw, Chocoba, which school did you go now? best wishes for your dental school!

regards

snowman

hi, Chocoba

just read your other post, UCLA is a great school. really glad for you to get in there. hope i have a chance to see you in L.A

:)

Snowman, interviewing at east coast schools are pretty costly. If you feel fairly confident that you are going to be accepted by schools you are interested in attending, I suggest that you don't go to every single interview offered.

When I went to my east coast interviews, my trip was usually 2-3 days, depending on what time the interview ended. If you really wanted to save on costs, you could probably fly during the night, arrive at destination in the morning, go to interview and then come home that night. I did that once, but I don't recommend it.

For Upenn, my whole trip cost around $1100 or so (transportation, lodging, food, etc). It was probably the most expensive of my interviews. I couldn't get any cheap airfare and ended up paying about $760 for the flight.

chocobo:
do you know anything about the UPenn scholarship? Is it a full tution grant like some undergrad schools? Also, which other schools give good scholarships?
any info will be greatly appreciated.
thanx.

Originally posted by chocobo:
•I went to UPenn's interview last year. The interview wasn't blind but my interviewer had not reviewed my application file before hand. My interviewer basically said, "I'm here to get you to come to our school. Any questions?" The only questions he asked me was why not physician, why penn, and which other schools I have interviewed at. I would ask him questions about the school, but he couldn't answer many of them. He said he'll ask the committee to award me the scholarship which I thought was weird, since he didn't get to know me during the interview at all.

Just relax and be yourself at the interview. Since you have been invited early, you're probably pretty much in, unless you really screw up the interview. I didn't get the impression that other interviewees had a hard time at their UPenn interview.•

Members don't see this ad :)
chocobo:

east coast interview is even more expensive than i thought :(
i contacted Upenn and temple, and they are very nice to help me. so i can have a one trip to both of them. i make a late interview, hopfully, this trip can visit 3-4 different schools. :)

snowman

ps: crimson, that is a good question about schoolarship, if anyone has the answer, please answer. thanks

UPenn offered the Dean's Scholarship which awarded half of annual tuition/year (~$18,800/year).
UOP offered $10,000/year.
UMich offered $7,500/year.
Boston offered $5,000/year.
USC offers scholarships after your first year has started, but they didn't seem to offer too much (a few thousand?).
UCLA will be giving me some money, but I don't think it will be much.

I have heard that NYU offers full tuition scholarships.
UPenn's deal was probably the best one, considering cost of living and everything.

Question for Chocoboa!!

I am really interested in these Dean's Scholarship for these school, esp. U of Penn, Columbia, and Harvard. I have an interview at Columbia in October. What stats do you need to get the Dean's Scholarship? And should I mention this during the interview??
Thanks!

I don't know what stats you need to get the Dean's Scholarship at Penn. They offered the scholarship at the same time they offered acceptance into their program. This is what it said:
"You were selected from a very small number of highly qualified and talented individuals whose academic achievements reflect the vision of excellence established by Dr. Thomas Evans, the School's founder." Penn puts a lot of pressure on you by making you decide by 12/20 (last year). To receive the scholarship, you must respond by 12/20 by paying a $500 deposit. 12/20 is quite early compared to most other schools, but Penn puts this deadline so that they can offer their scholarships to the next qualifying students.

And should I mention this during the interview??
I'm not so sure. I personally have never brought up the topic of scholarships during an interview. I think some interviewees asked the presenter about scholarships (like how many are awarded, the amount, etc). If you have general questions about their scholarships, I would suggest that you ask presenters and not your interviewer.

To Chocoboa, man, you must have some good scores on your DAT, as well as GPA! Thanks for the info!

interviews granted to date: uconn, umaryland-baltimore, columbia, upenn and temple

any feedback on any schools above by current or prospective students would be much appreciated! thanks!

reena ;)

Reena,

I am currently enrolled in Columbia (1st year) however, I did have interviews at Temple, Maryland and of course at Columbia.

Temple: Need to write an essay about random questions regarding Dentistry. Group interview format. 2 professors and or doctors with about 4 to 6 candidates. Laid back questions.

Maryland: individual interviews however you will be interviewed by 2 professors and 1 upper classman. Straight forward questions.

Columbia: one to one interview. Straight forward questions.

At any interviews, relax and be confident. Remember that you are invited to interview because school believes that you have what it takes to succeed at their schools. I believe that most of the interviews are there to see if you are motivated and amicable. And when you visit these schools ask lot of frank questions to the students. They are the ones who will give you straight answers.

Good luck.

ok, guys

here is time for my interview: 11/1 Upenn 11/2 temple and 11/5 Uconn, can i see any of you guys there?

regards

snowman

hi, chocobo & Henkel

thanks for the info about schoolarship and interview! very informative. :)

question for chocobo:

the dean scholarship is four years or one year renewable?

Penn's Dean's Scholarship is for the whole 4 years. I'm pretty sure you need to maintain a certain GPA to keep on getting the funding every year.

thanks chocobo:

we really appreciated your time and info, and hope more people who was accepted last year can share more info about interview and schoolarship.

good luck for all who started dental school this year!

does anyone who know what is the best way to get from ABE airport (allentown-Bethlehem-Easton) to downtown Philadelphia (Upenn) in late evening?

i cannot find any info about that airport :confused:

HI..

Secondary:UCLA, UCSF, Upenn
Interviews: Upenn, Columbia, Tuft, boston, Ohio state, Temple,

Interviews coming up:

Tufts
UNC
UPenn
Maryland
Columbia
UConn
BU

Anyone been back from these schools yet?

hi, Skim2

when is your interview @ Upenn, temple & BU?

hi,Waiting

when is your interview for Upenn, Uconn and BU? where are you going to stay in Uconn interview? please let me know b/c i have not schedule my hotel yet. thanks!

that is a lot of interviews :)

To Snowman..

I have An interview on 10/11/01 at Upenn
10/12/01 at Columbia.. Not going to BU though..

thanks.. :p

hi, Skim2

my upenn is on 11/1, too bad cannot see you there. good luck with your interview! let me know what happened. :)

regards

snowman

Interviews coming up:
UConn 10-5
Louisville 10-26
Minnesota 10-29
Michigan 11-9

Anyone been to these yet and have any advice? Will I see any of you there?

hi, baccurso

i couldn't believe it! we have the same date for Uconn interview.

where are you going to stay in Uconn?

best regards

snowman

I rented a car at the airport so I could get a room closer to the school. I have a room in Hartford at some hotel I found through hotwire or priceline, I forget which. It's in the southern end of the city near the expressway.

hi, thanks for the quick reply!

i am thinking to find a hotel which is walking distance to campus, so i donot need to rent a car. Hartford is about only ten miles away from campus, and it should be fairly quick for you to get there.

good luck with your other interview, and i will see u there.

best regards

snowman

Hurray! I have my first interview October 1st with University of Texas San Antonio! :) :) :)

Snowman,

That was my thinking originally, but from my understanding, it's an isolated health center and there's not really anything within walking distance. I might be wrong but I got a car cheap so that I wouldn't have to drop a ton of money on cab fare. See you in about 2 weeks

ricegirl, really glad for your interview! it must be one of your top choice, with a big smile :) :) :)

baccurso

i just find that i made a big mistakes on the interview date. mine is 11/5 instead of 10/5. i guess i am too excite to meet someone on this bbs :)

thanks for the info about hotel! i will call them next week. good luck w/ your interview! would you let me know what happened after your interview?

best regards

snowman

snowman, thanks for the encouragement! I came back home today and I have another interview with Baylor on Oct 15th. :)

Here are the interview dates I have so far:

Temple: 9/21 (went great)
BU: 10/2
SUNY - Stony Brook: 10/11
UMDNJ: 10/12

Invited, but need to plan date:
Tufts, UConn, UPitt

Secondary:
UMaryland

Haven't heard a thing yet!!!:
SUNY - Buffalo (boy my file is confused here)
NYU (but file complete)

Anyone with any same dates???

Here are the interview dates I have so far:

Temple: 9/21 (went great)
BU: 10/2
SUNY - Stony Brook: 10/11
UMDNJ: 10/12

Invited, but need to plan date:
Tufts, UConn, UPitt

Secondary:
UMaryland

Haven't heard a thing yet!!!:
SUNY - Buffalo (boy my file is confused here)
NYU (but file complete)

Anyone with any same dates???

ricegirl

from now on, there are more good news coming every week ;)
God bless we all get into the school that we want!

best regards

snowman

hi, MsPurtell

your interview is pretty early.

for NYU and Buff, i only got a welcome applying letter so far, i guess their interviews are relatively late vs other school.

for your other question regarding Pitt, i talked to a dentist from there, he like the program there b/c it is relative relaxed. most dental school is stressful in either clinic (UOP, NYU and temple), or academic (Harvard, Columbia). Pitt is relative balanced among these schools. i apply pitt because of its relaxed learning environment.

hope that helps

Thanks for the info on Pitt. I'm not sure it's for me if they don't really emphasize clinical learning.

here are my interview dates:

umaryland--sept 25
uconn--oct 1st
nyu--oct 3rd
columbia--oct 5th
upenn--oct 11th
temple--oct 12th
tufts--oct 17th
boston u--oct 19th

much luck to everyone with their interviews! :)

Hey reena and ms. purtell....

here's my update:

Tufts (went 9/20, see tufts post)
UNC-Chapel Hill: 9/29
UPenn: 10/5
Louisville: 10/8
Maryland: 10/16
Columbia: 10/26
UConn: 10/29
BU: 11/5
Michigan: 11/9
Pacific: ? no date yet

anyone else w/same dates or heard yet from UCLA, UCSF, Washington, or Harvard? I filled out secondaries but am still waiting...Good luck to all!

Hi MsPurtell,

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing what your Temple interview experience was like. I heard that it's a group interview? How did that work? I don't quite understand how you're supposed to answer their questions when there are 5-6 candidates with only 2 faculty members... =( are you supposed to answer in order seated? if so, what do you do if the person before you had the same answer you planned on using? just a little bit confused...also, how was the essay you had to write? thank you for any advice you can share! =) i have an interview at temple on 10/15...and i'm scared out of my wits!

-wasabi007 :confused:

waiting,
We've got the same interview date here at U of M. I'm an undergrad here and an instater so I scheduled it later so that I could get some experience before I go in. Also, I haven't heard yet from UCSF either. I sent in my secondary about a week ago but they still haven't updated their website that lists the progress of your app yet. Anyone else had that problem? Also, SUNY-Buffalo has a similar thing but the page they listed it was doesn't exist, anyone else know about this. One other thing, I noticed that you have the early UNC date. I was hoping to hear from them by now but it turned out they had my DAT score for over 3 months but misfiled it so my application just went under review last week (doh!). It's one of my top choices so I was wonder what was your timetable from hearing back from them. Do you think it might have been quicker since your instate? Anyways, if you have any questions about UM feel free to ask me and I await your update about the UNC interview this weekend. Good Luck

hi wasabi,

don't be nervous. The questions at Temple were all very predictable. A question was asked by the interviewer and then he would indicate who he wanted to answer. Typically, two to four people would answer the same question. If you have a same answer, just say so. But, be prepared with honest, thoughtful, rehearsed responses to the most common question types.

Regarding the essay: again, it wasn't bad. Just typical questions (usually ethical) that pertain to some area of dentistry.

Margaret

baccurso,

cool to hear that we've got the same michigan date...although to be honest, I scheduled it for later since I'm not sure I'm gonna go (expensive)....Do you know if Michigan lets you qualify for in-state status after a year like some schools do? I tried to find this info in the booklet they sent but didn't see it anywhere.

As for UNC, I'll let you know how it goes. It's my state school and I sent in my secondary very early....I heard from them about my interview via phone in the 1st week of this month. They only have 3 interview dates this fall and this is the first. I'll definitely let you know how it goes....let me know about michigan....

:) :cool: