Secondary Applications & Summer Travel - HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrmatt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my friends and I (college Seniors) have been planning this great Europe trip for next summer mid-June to mid-July, as an after-graduation adventure. Two of us are applying to med (MD) school in the 2012 cycle.

I just realized recently that it's quite possible I will have to stay in the states during this time because of a few secondary applications...assuming I submit my application/MCAT in early June, would I expect to get secondaries at this time, and how long do I have to return them? Is there any way to make this work?

Members don't see this ad.

I dont see why you can just do your secondaries from Europe. They are all online, although for some you will have to send by snail mail but no big deal.
go on your trip dont be a p*ssy

Alright thanks (I think?) for your help...I really don't want this to keep me from going.

What all is in a secondary app? I know there are a couple of essay questions. Is that all? If so, I can definitely do those on the train rides.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitting secondaries in Mid-July is still considered early. You are fine. I went to Africa for a month this summer after submitting my primary to AMCAS. It was a wonderful break from applications.

Alright thanks (I think?) for your help...I really don't want this to keep me from going.

What all is in a secondary app? I know there are a couple of essay questions. Is that all? If so, I can definitely do those on the train rides.
Yeah the essays are the bulk of it. Many essays don't change from year to year; you could even pre-write them if you wanted to, then when you go to sit down at an internet cafe you won't be wasting time "writing" them, but just typing and editing.

If you apply to 20 or so schools, after about 10 essays you will find you are able to recycle material so be sure to keep all of your essays in your email or something so that you can access them later as other essays come in.

sorry sometimes i can be a little too blunt. just trying to help =)

I would definitely do the essays ahead of time. you can look at the school specific sections to see what the essays are as most stay the same each year. All that you will have to do is cut and paste.

PC keyboards in some countries have different layouts, which you may find hard to use for anything more than brief entries.

If you want to do secondaries while you're gone, finish and polish off a handful or so for the common questions in advance.

Don't freak out if you find yourself someplace where the keyboard is different enough that you decide to wait until you're somewhere else, or home, to take care of it. Handle everything in July and you'll be in one of the early waves. Good luck.

A lot of schools don't even release their secondaries until mid-July. Enjoy your trip and work on secondaries when you get home.

you could just prewrite some before your trip (gap year, why this school, name a stressful event, etc). check the school specific threads