Secondary Biliary Cirrhosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phd89

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In FA it says labs in Secondary Biliary cirrhosis show Inc Congugated bilirubin since the ducts are blocked, and in the presentation it says there are light stools, So I'm guessing that the bilirubin does get excreted into the gut to give it color to the stools when its excreted, but where does the CB go then? and what will the urine look like clear?

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary biliary sclerosis is, by definition, is a post-hepatic obstructive pathology, whether the aetiology be choledocholithiasis or primary sclerosing cholangitis or neoplasm, etc. Therefore, conjugated bilirubin cannot make it to the gut, so urine should be dark with increased CB, and stools should be pale, with decreased stercobilin. Urobilin in urine is not increased.

Random tidbit: I've encountered in two separate practice questions that anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae antibodies are associated with both primary sclerosing cholangitis and Crohn's. They're seen slightly more often in Crohn's, but can occur, along with p-ANCAs, in PSC. Seems very random, but it is what it is.

Secondary biliary sclerosis is, by definition, is a post-hepatic obstructive pathology, whether the aetiology be choledocholithiasis or primary sclerosing cholangitis or neoplasm, etc. Therefore, conjugated bilirubin cannot make it to the gut, so urine should be dark with increased CB, and stools should be pale, with decreased stercobilin. Urobilin in urine is not increased.

Random tidbit: I've encountered in two separate practice questions that anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae antibodies are associated with both primary sclerosing cholangitis and Crohn's. They're seen slightly more often in Crohn's, but can occur, along with p-ANCAs, in PSC. Seems very random, but it is what it is.

It does seem random, but I saw it on a practice question and was tested on it in school during our GI block. You may also see anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae antibodies listed as "ASCA+" or "ASCA positive" in the list of answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
It does seem random, but I saw it on a practice question and was tested on it in school during our GI block. You may also see anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae antibodies listed as "ASCA+" or "ASCA positive" in the list of answers.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll be vigilant if need be.

Yes, and as a personal story, my friend with celiac disease avoid gluten products religiously. Note that the yeast causes the CO2 bubbles, which are entrapped in the gluten meshwork, which makes delicious bread.