Secondary Essay Brainstorming

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babykarat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted for privacy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) Veganism
How can you tell the Vegan in a room? Don’t worry, they’ll tell you eventually. Don’t be that guy.

I like #2 so long as you don’t pull it off as a sob story.

My vote goes for number three just because it sounds awesome. And, if you can spin it like “Comparing my culture to that of other cultures through our shared taste in music...” you are golden.

Hi, I'm hoping to hear your thoughts on two potential diversity essay ideas:

1) Veganism - I initially became vegan for personal health, but then became aware of the moral/environmental/political implications of animal agriculture. This change in perspective also refined my justification for animal research (which I still use and support). I have learned how to discuss/defend my views without making others feel judged or angry. This goes for conversations with vegans against animal models too. My food choices have also shaped my long-time cooking and weight lifting hobbies (insert protein deficient vegan joke here). I also joined an organization that cooks vegetarian food for the local homeless population

2) Temporary disability - due to a developmental condition I developed chronic hip/leg pain, used a cane for 6 months, underwent surgery, and am now on crutches. I have dealt with the stigma/assumptions/challenges of being physically disabled, and talked with people who had more long term conditions. This experience also showed me what it's like to be a patient, and learn what nurse/doctor behaviors are unhelpful.

3) I have a pretty extensive knowledge of foreign psychedelic rock music and DJ'd a radio show.

Which idea would you recommend that I use for diversity essays? All 3 have certainly expanded my perspectives, and define who I am today. If I have the space, would it be fine to discuss them all? I could also use #2 for adversity and "anything else you want us to know" questions.

My concerns for #1 are that people have negative assumptions of vegans (judgy, difficult, etc). For #2 I have read some cynical comments online saying that many premeds tend to "use" their medical conditions to write cliched "sob stories" about understanding the patient experience.
#2 also.

Reactions: 1 users