Secondary Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Southern_Weather

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN,

I am in the process of filling out a secondary and the prompt is asking, "Describe what you have done to demonstrate your desire for a career in medicine? ".

I feel I addressed this extremely well in my personal statement; and that I would just be repeating myself.

Thoughts?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the process of filling out a secondary and the prompt is asking, "Describe what you have done to demonstrate your desire for a career in medicine? ".

I feel I addressed this extremely well in my personal statement; and that I would just be repeating myself.

While not universally true, the same person may read and score both essays. Tell the same basic story if you must (though they don't seem to have the same purpose, to me), but use different vocabulary and don't repeat illustrative anecdotes.

repackage what you said in your PS in a diff way

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My 2 cents: you may talk about what specific role you want to play as a physician in the future and what you have done so far to demonstrate your will. If you want to work in an academic setting, you should talk about research experience, or teaching/tutoring experience, along with your clinical experience(volunteering/shadowing); if you want to work in rural area, then talk about what you have done so far related to such setting; if you want to serve urban under-served populations, then talk about your related experience thus far. Be concise and give examples.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a lot guys!

There is a 500 word limit which makes it about the length of a personal statement; is that usual for a secondary to be that long? Is it okay if I don't reach this limit?

There is a 500 word limit which makes it about the length of a personal statement; is that usual for a secondary to be that long? Is it okay if I don't reach this limit?
Don't feel obliged to fill the word maximum. Succinctness is a positive quality. When you are done saying what you want to say, Stop. Don't fluff it up.