rachmoninov3

10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Anyone feel like writing their secondaries is just repackaging parts of their AMCAS personal statement?

"how did the environment in which you grew up effect your desire to become a physician?"

For me, it's a disease that dominated my childhood and was miraculously 'cured' at age sixteen. From a childhood with a chronic disease, I have learned a lot about what it's like to be a patient, and have a greater empathy for my own patients (as a CNA/EMT) because of it.

All part of the personal statement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
Hilbert Space
Status
Medical Student
I agree, but I think they just want to make you go crazy so that they know you really want to go to their school.

g3pro

Dr. Mogley
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2003
Status
rachmoninov3 said:
Anyone feel like writing their secondaries is just repackaging parts of their AMCAS personal statement?

"how did the environment in which you grew up effect your desire to become a physician?"

For me, it's a disease that dominated my childhood and was miraculously 'cured' at age sixteen. From a childhood with a chronic disease, I have learned a lot about what it's like to be a patient, and have a greater empathy for my own patients (as a CNA/EMT) because of it.

All part of the personal statement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have you thought about nursing school? You might be a good fit with the CNA training! Patient empathy is key for nurses. :thumbup:

Severus

FTSM!
10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
teh OR
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Severus

FTSM!
10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
teh OR
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Doctor~Detroit said:
this gets me kinda hot.
Beastiality meets BDSM? :confused:

That's gotta be a niche market.

Hednej

***** Level 60
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, this horse has been beaten so much it makes me sad but what makes me even sadder is that it's true. The deal is that the secondaries are pretty much like a fundraiser, and they can't tell you to hand them 75 bucks for an empty application. You have to submit something. For example, Hopkins asks how I chose my undergrad institution. Does it really matter? no, they just want to have a secondary that's unique and not empty.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
Hednej said:
Yeah, this horse has been beaten so much it makes me sad but what makes me even sadder is that it's true. The deal is that the secondaries are pretty much like a fundraiser, and they can't tell you to hand them 75 bucks for an empty application. You have to submit something. For example, Hopkins asks how I chose my undergrad institution. Does it really matter? no, they just want to have a secondary that's unique and not empty.
That would have been an interesting essay for me.

Although, more schools should just hop on the "give us your credit card number and tell us your mother's maiden name" bandwagon...