Secondary Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackSpicer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, folks. So I'm applying for med schools, as I'm sure many of you are as well, and I have a question regarding letters of recommendation.

I tried looking at one medical school's guidelines for submitting LOR's, but it didn't mention anything. I then tried looking at Northwestern. They said to not submit anything beyond a committee letter (which is what my college does) or whatever else your school does for submitting letters. So I have a letter from a doctor I shadowed, right? But Northwestern says you can submit other letters if you get called in for an interview the day of. So is this the trend I should be following for those med schools who don't really say anything? Just submit my college letter and then submit my other letter (possibly letters) if I get summoned for an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, folks. So I'm applying for med schools, as I'm sure many of you are as well, and I have a question regarding letters of recommendation.

I tried looking at one medical school's guidelines for submitting LOR's, but it didn't mention anything. I then tried looking at Northwestern. They said to not submit anything beyond a committee letter (which is what my college does) or whatever else your school does for submitting letters. So I have a letter from a doctor I shadowed, right? But Northwestern says you can submit other letters if you get called in for an interview the day of. So is this the trend I should be following for those med schools who don't really say anything? Just submit my college letter and then submit my other letter (possibly letters) if I get summoned for an interview?

Why do you not just have the doctor send the letter to your school and have it included in the committee letter? Just have everyone send their letters to the pre-health office and then use them all in the committee letter. It will be way easier for you and for everyone involved.

As for interviews, if you get another LOR between now and the interview, you can submit it then. I wouldn't withhold a letter now just so you can submit it later when these letters can be used to get you an interview. It is my understanding that the letters, MCAT scores, GPA, etc. all get you an interview and then your way of presenting yourself and ability to articulate will gain you a seat.

The committee letter has already been written. So I don't have the option of adding my doctor's letter to it. Plus, I don't think my college would incorporate a recommendation from outside the, well, college. So I'm trying to figure out what to do with this other letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
The committee letter has already been written. So I don't have the option of adding my doctor's letter to it. Plus, I don't think my college would incorporate a recommendation from outside the, well, college. So I'm trying to figure out what to do with this other letter.

An outside letter can be attached to your committee letter packet. As least that's what my school does, and AMCAS says that it's acceptable too. That additional letter does not have to be incorporated into your committee letter; it is simply attached to it. Ask your school committee if you can do that.

Just have your schools send in the letter with the committee letter as a letter packet. If that doesn't work, then just have then submit the two letter separate. Then you just select to send both letters to the medical schools.