Secondary passport photo: smile?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spin

me right round baby
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I read that you're not supposed to smile in "real" passport photos. Does that go for secondary passport photos too?

Members don't see this ad.

You can smile. I had a smile in mine, but no teath were showing. I assume thats fine.

It's not a mugshot.... smile :) I smiled in my actual passport photo too, I don't think anyone cares lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
My teeth are definitely showing in the one I was planning on using, but I have a slightly blurrier one with no teeth. Which one do you think is better?

I didn't use a passport photo, just one of me from graduation in my cap and gown. smiling. with teeth. As far as I know, they just use it to make sure it's you on interview day and as a reference to put a name with a face in committee meetings - I think you all are over thinking it :cool:

It's not a mugshot.... smile :) I smiled in my actual passport photo too, I don't think anyone cares lol.

I wanted to, but they told me specifically not to smile.

So my passport picture looks something like this: :eek:

I didn't use a passport photo, just one of me from graduation in my cap and gown. smiling. with teeth. As far as I know, they just use it to make sure it's you on interview day and as a reference to put a name with a face in committee meetings - I think you all are over thinking it :cool:

I also heard that they use this photo to verify that you took the MCAT since AAMC releases those photos too. A little hard to believe for me, but it sounds plausible. Unfortunately, not many people look too appealing on test day.

I also heard that they use this photo to verify that you took the MCAT since AAMC releases those photos too. A little hard to believe for me, but it sounds plausible. Unfortunately, not many people look too appealing on test day.

You have to be kidding. Where did you hear such an idiotic thing?

Some med schools want a photo so that interviewers and staff will be able to recall a face with a file. Some schools use the photo for security purposes when you check in on interview day - many med centers have serious security issues.

I sent in around 15 secondaries and only got asked for a couple of photos...

man yall are so neurotic!! its a picture! just be you (shouldnt be difficult) and ur done

:laugh: hahahahaha so true.

Too funny. Of course you can smile, they ask for a passport sized picture not an actual passport picture (which now you cannot smile, but mine is 8 years old so I am all teeth.) It's just a picture, I don't think they care that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
My teeth are definitely showing in the one I was planning on using, but I have a slightly blurrier one with no teeth. Which one do you think is better?

If you're fuggs, blurrier is better.

Seriously? You have to ask this?

Yes, Smile. You're trying to convince people to accept you to med school, not that you're miserably going to another country (or jail).

i looked like a homeless person on crack when i took the mcat.

:rolleyes:
Tufts' secondary explicitly states this. And if you look through the AAMC or MCAT website they state that they release access to the photo to schools for verification purposes.

I Love your avatar! its tight

what the hell? im smiling super big in my passport pic.

Smiling is fine for the secondary applications, but for your passport the government specifically states on the application not to smile or show teeth. Surprised the place that took your photo let you do that.

edit: smiling is no longer banned for US passport photos apparently, but most place that take your picture don't know this. it still has to be a "natural expression" however. apparently scrunched eyes or cheeks from smiling interfere with facial recognition software security uses. still banned in the UK though.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:
Tufts' secondary explicitly states this. And if you look through the AAMC or MCAT website they state that they release access to the photo to schools for verification purposes.

AAMC states that your "biometric" data is retained for possible future use. Med schools are not using this information to verify that you took the MCAT - they rely on the AAMC to thoroughly vet test takers.

This thread is about the schools that ask for a photo with the secondary, and not all or even very many schools ask for such a photo. For the most part, the purpose of these photos is to put a face with a file, and so that post interview it will help interviewers and staff "remember" the applicants. At one med school where I interviewed, applicants emailed a photo that was used at the security office when letting interviewees into the building. I see zero evidence that any med school has the ability to match up your photo with the biometric data captured by AAMC on test day.

Post what Tufts "explicitly" states about all of this. I question the sanity of anyone applying to Tufts in the first place...:laugh:

AAMC states that your "biometric" data is retained for possible future use. Med schools are not using this information to verify that you took the MCAT - they rely on the AAMC to thoroughly vet test takers.

This thread is about the schools that ask for a photo with the secondary, and not all or even very many schools ask for such a photo. For the most part, the purpose of these photos is to put a face with a file, and so that post interview it will help interviewers and staff "remember" the applicants. At one med school where I interviewed, applicants emailed a photo that was used at the security office when letting interviewees into the building. I see zero evidence that any med school has the ability to match up your photo with the biometric data captured by AAMC on test day.

Post what Tufts "explicitly" states about all of this. I question the sanity of anyone applying to Tufts in the first place...:laugh:
Why is that?
http://www.aamc.org/programs/biometrics/biometricidentityverificationserviceusingthesystem.pdf
Sorry I don't currently have access to Tufts' secondary.

One factor would certainly be that their ridiculous tuition costs.
I am aware of that, but one doesn't always have a choice. I'm not applying to Boston University because it costs $150 (2°+1°), they get 10,000 applications, they don't have too many seats to begin with, and then it's expensive as hell. I think Tufts is slightly easier to get into, but I might be wrong.

I happened to have a page of school pics from 2 years ago that I've been lugging around from classroom to classroom (I'm a teacher). They have finally served their purpose, and to think I always meant to throw them away. ;)

Passport photos without a smile look like mugshots

phil_spector_mug_shot.jpg

I will be smiling.

what a stupid question

1. Find a picture where you look nice.
2. Go to www.epassportphoto.com
3. Upload photo
4. Select "No Thanks" when offered there Pro services (it's not for an official passport so why waste the money)
5. Download picture (5 photos on a 4x6)
6. Upload to target/walgreens/walmart
7. Pick up prints one hour later
8. Chill

Some med schools want a photo so that interviewers and staff will be able to recall a face with a file. Some schools use the photo for security purposes when you check in on interview day - many med centers have serious security issues.

I sent in around 15 secondaries and only got asked for a couple of photos...

Heard on it on another thread. Hence I was a little weary to believe, but you never know the ridiculous inner workings of some medical schools.