secondary photo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krishn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've applied to 17 places. I know that's way too many considering I have a pretty decent application, but you never know. Anyways, most schools either require or say sending the photo is optional. If its optional, then I want to send it. I was wondering what size photo i need to send. I've seen 2inch by 2 inch passport size, is that the preferred size? In addition, this is going to cost me more than I expected. It costs like 8 bucks at kinkos to get 2 photos that are 2 in x 2 in. Does anyone have a cheaper alternative?

Members don't see this ad.

2x2 is fine. I'm going to CVS...should be cheaper there.

Do the passport size, and look decent for it. You know what they say about first impressions. And maybe you'll wanna ask around for the photos at some photo shops and see if they'll cut you a deal (Sears gave me like 5 or 7 or something for 10 bucks, all wallet size, but then I cut them down with one of those choppy things).

dc

Members don't see this ad :)
Just use Photoshop to arrange your pics so it would fit in one 4X6 photo, then just go to any where and pop in the memory card and print it out. 35 cent at most per photo, I like the kodak 10 mins photo machine, it prints pretty well. All you have to do is go home and cut it out.

If you have a good printer and glossy photo paper at home, I'd just do it from there... that's what I plan on doing! While the cost of actual passport photos are nothing compared to the overall application process, I still think it's a ripoff and that the cost of everything does add up.

DrHopeless said:
Just use Photoshop to arrange your pics so it would fit in one 4X6 photo, then just go to any where and pop in the memory card and print it out. 35 cent at most per photo, I like the kodak 10 mins photo machine, it prints pretty well. All you have to do is go home and cut it out.

I've just thought the same. It's really easy to put 2 layers of 2x2 pictures on 4x6 in Photoshop. And, it'll cost 40 cents max in any pharmacy. BTW, where is the best quality? I've used Ofoto, Snapfish, and other online services, but I don't want to wait a week before the pictures arrive.

Thanks

Mikhail

12 pictures, 68 cents total, CVS

DetectiveChubby said:
12 pictures, 68 cents total, CVS

I went to CVS too... 24 2x3 photos and a picture CD with the photo on it cost $5. I figure I can cut down the 2x3 photos if they really want 2x2 photos. I went to Sears and they told me it would be $22 for four pictures! So I borrowed a friend's camera and did the CVS thing. Ended up being reasonably inexpensive.

I have received about 5 out of 18 secondaries so far. (submitted my amcas mid-july). Each secondary has a request for a photo. I have no problem sending one but I wonder why they need the photo at all? Isn't the acceptance supposed to be based on our merits?

BonnieVallie said:
I have received about 5 out of 18 secondaries so far. (submitted my amcas mid-july). Each secondary has a request for a photo. I have no problem sending one but I wonder why they need the photo at all? Isn't the acceptance supposed to be based on our merits?
They are screening for face transplant candidates.

BrettBatchelor said:
They are screening for face transplant candidates.
OK - I think this is the first joke I have seen you make on here Brett - and BLAST YOU!! I was supposed to give the illusion of doing work in my office, but giggling after reading this post gave me away. Phooey.

BonnieVallie said:

The premed counselor at my school said they want it so they can make a book of all the students they accept. and so the interviewers have an easier time remembering you later. but legally they can't require you to send one. that's why they all say "we suggest" or "optional", etc.