Secondary question: break in education/withdrawal, how to answer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supersaiyanvegeta

Reaction score
I withdrew from a term in undergrad for family problems/medical issues in my family. How much detail do I need to go into when explaining this on secondaries? If the medical issue is stigmatized (ex. mental illness, substance abuse, etc), do I need to mention what it was or can I just be vague and say something along the lines of "withdrew due to family medical issue"? If I get an interview, would interviewers ask me what it was specifically? @gyngyn @Catalystik @Mr.Smile12

Members don't see this ad.

I would keep it short, simple and straightforward, as you suggested above (i.e., I withdrew do to a family medical issue). As long as you only withdrew one semester and have not exhibited a pattern of repeated withdrawals, I don't think it should be an issue.

I withdrew from a term in undergrad for family problems/medical issues in my family. How much detail do I need to go into when explaining this on secondaries? If the medical issue is stigmatized (ex. mental illness, substance abuse, etc), do I need to mention what it was or can I just be vague and say something along the lines of "withdrew due to family medical issue"? If I get an interview, would interviewers ask me what it was specifically? @gyngyn @Catalystik @Mr.Smile12
You can just say health issues and that's all you need. they're not allowed to ask what they were.

BTW, Adcoms do NOT think that just because a family member had mental health issues or addition that you're at greater risk and thus have a red flag.

Reactions: 1 user
"Chronic illness" or "an acute exacerbation of a chronic condition" covers just about everything and is sufficiently vague to give you some cover.

Reactions: 1 users