Secondary Question re: not being in school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phys1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am filling out secondaries and a few ask, if you are not currently in school, what are you doing from the time you're applying to the time you start med school.

All I really have going on right now is my full-time job. I'm working as a medical assistant now (having left IT to pursue medicine) and trying to get some healthcare experience. I can't afford to be globe-trotting to "find myself" or other interesting experiences that don't involve making an income. I am looking into finding an additional part-time job but haven't come up with much yet. I'm not currently volunteering anywhere, though I did some during my undergrad (graduated 2 years ago) and I'm looking to do some volunteering once I have a bit more spare time.

Does it look bad if I just put a one-liner about my full-time employment? Do I dare mention looking to do some volunteering or additional work if I'm not currently involved with these things?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would put a little more than one line - describe your job a little bit, or write something that makes it sound interesting and relevant if you can couch it that way. And personally, i wouldn't put the looking for volunteer/additional work, but that could go either way.

Good luck!

Just talk about your job and how it has re-emphasized your focus on the medical field. What your job duties are and how it has given you insight into the life of medicine, etc. Working full time is more than plenty. They just want to make sure you aren't some bum on the couch living off mom and dad waiting for your acceptance. You are showing that you are a productive member of society, not living on welfare.