Secondary question: "Why did you choose X medical school?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J1515

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What exactly are they looking for when they ask you why you chose this specific school? Obviously everyone has different reasons, but for those of you who applied to a wide range of schools, what do you say? Do you quote stats? Match rates? System of learning? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This is your chance to tell the school why you really want to go there. Take a look at the school's websites and brochures and figure out the reasons you want to go to a particular school (you probably should have done this before you even applied to schools).

Members don't see this ad :)
And if you know any alumni, speak to them about what makes the school unique.

I wouldn't recommend mentioning stats (how would you do that, exactly? "I figured since I was close to X school's averages, I'd probably get in."). I wouldn't mention match lists either, but you could say something about a strong program preparing for whatever you're interested in. Figure out what the school likes about itself and figure out which of those match up with your preferences (urban environment, lots of primary care, lots of specialization, good hospitals, etc).