Secondary Questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tigger Tiger

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a website that has the various secondary questions for schools? I am looking for secondary questions for JHU, Stanford, Duke, BU, and Vanderbilt in particular.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Vandy's secondary questions are:

Write an autobiography (2 blank pages)

Describe your extrcurriculars and list your academic awards and honors (1 blank page)

And you get an interview.

[This message has been edited by SCRU (edited 11-11-1999).]

Stanford's and UCLA's are almost identical

Members don't see this ad :)
STANFORD SECONDARY
------------------
Describe any scholarly projects (thesis, research or field study in basic or clinical science, or in the humanities). Give dates, advisor(s) and approximate hours per week involved.

Describe any artistic endeavours (theatre, visual arts, music, writing, etc.). Give dates and approximate hours per week involved.

Have you initiated any new programs, activities, classes, business endeavors, team sports, expeditions, etc. in the areas mentioned above, or other areas not mentioned? Give dates and approximate hours per week involved.

Have you held a leadership position in any organization, activity, class, business, etc. in the areas mentioned above, or other areas not mentioned? Give dates and approximate hours per week involved.

Have you been an active member in any organizations, classes, activities, etc. in the areas mentioned above, or other areas not mentioned? Give dates and approximate hours per week involved.

Did you receive any awards, special honors, or citations for any of these activities? Did they result in any publications, special reports, public exhibitions, performances, etc.?

Which of these activities had particular significance for you (and why)?

Briefly describe your involvement in clinical settings (e.g. hospitals, nursing homes, hospices), Give dates and approximate hours per week involved.

Briefly describe your involvement in volunteer activities, community service, and/or other caring experiences (paid or unpaid). Give dates and approximate hours per week involved.

Please give the names, addresses and phone numbers of your advisors, project supervisors or other mentors who are qualified to evaluate your performance in the activities cited under sections 9 and 10. We may wish to contact one or more of them in order to enhance your application.

If you do not wish us to contact any individuals named in 11a, please explain briefly.

Employment history: Please list all of your paid work experience during (and since) college, whether or not you have included it in your AMCAS application. Please list most recent work first. Be specific and complete. Give dates and approximate hours per week involved.

Other extracurricular activities (not mentioned elsewhere in the AMCAS or supplementary application):

The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the education mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions encourages you to share unique and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences.

Please: a) discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine; and b) describe in detail (to the extent not included in previous answers) your involvement in campus or off-campus activities, paid or unpaid, in terms of community service, assumption of leadership roles, activities related to the care of others, etc. Use an additional sheet if necessary.

The Admissions Committee realizes that career goals may change; nevertheless, it is interested in the type of career you envision for yourself. Please describe what you see as your principal professional role and the kinds of accomplishments to which you aspire in the course of your career.

Additional Information: Please elaborate on any points that you consider to be of special significance for your application to Stanford by providing relevant information THAT IS NOT GIVEN ELSEWHERE IN THIS APPLICATION OR IN THE AMCAS PERSONAL STATEMENT.

[This message has been edited by Tigger Tiger (edited 11-11-1999).]

Wow Tigger, it's impressive that you reproduced the entire Stanford secondary!

I didn't apply to Duke, but I got the secondary from someone...

What aspects of Duke's program in medical education interest you and why?

Among the service activities that you listed on your AMCAS application, in which activity did you feel that you truly made an impact on someone else? What was the impact on you?

Describe your most relevant clinical experience in medicine thus far.

Describe a difficult moral or ethical situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. What personal strengths, values, and beliefs helped you deal with this challenge? (1000 words)

smile.gif

[This message has been edited by SCRU (edited 11-11-1999).]

I typed the bugger into my word processor... I like to look at the question periodically while writing an answer.

I can't figure out what I'm going to write for these things. The majority of the questions are on my AMCAS. I guess I can always elaborate on the things that I didn't really emphasize on the AMCAS.

Heard anything SCRU?

On the Stanford secondary, you can elaborate on the same extracurricular activity in multiple sections. This will leave fewer blank spaces and will give you enough space to say your piece!

I still haven't heard from Stanford and it's killing me!

Did you get the postcard at least?

Yes, I got the postcard that said my application was complete...but nothing else.

I'm wondering if they're just getting tired of reading those LONG applications. Thus, the long wait.