Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Secondary Rejectiions

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by MTY, Jul 24, 2000.

1. MTY

MTY

has anyone got rejected from receiving a secondary applicantion?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrStacey69

DrStacey69 Member

Yeah, that happened to me a couple of times when I was applying. Believe it or not, those schools were actually doing you a favor - they were being up front about your chances of getting in, while other schools will stick you for a $100 secondary application fee and then tell you to take a hike. (Gee, do I sound bitter?? [​IMG]) Don't let it get you down. Before you know it you'll be accepted and this whole application nightmare will be behind you. The med school nightmare, however, looms ahead (just kidding!!!!!!)

[This message has been edited by DrStacey69 (edited 07-28-2000).]

4. Hey Stacey, what are your stats if you don't mind me asking? I'm kind of saddended by mine (3.0GPA 21MCAT). I need to up my MCAT score, and hopefully it will go up. I've been studying and preparing for it for a while now. But do you think that I have a chance? The only other thing that I can think of is that I shadow an associate professor of anesthesiology at the school that I want to go to, and so he is going to write me a strong positive recommendation. I know it's hard to answer a question like this but I just want to know if someone else with stats similar to mine has gotten in anywhere, and if so what else did they do to make their application stand out?

-imtiaz

5. DrStacey69

DrStacey69 Member

I had a 3.6 overall, 3.2 science, and a 26 MCAT. However, I have heard of some people who were accepted to schools who had MCAT scores in the very low 20's and GPAs in the 3.0 range, so don't put yourself out of the game yet. You may very well score better on your August MCAT (I did) and some schools put more weight on grades and recommendations. Shadowing a doctor is not a bad idea, but don't give up any MCAT study time to do so. Worst case scenario is that you don't get in this year, in which case you can a few extra science courses next year and try to make A's to boost your GPA. Hang in there!!!!

[This message has been edited by DrStacey69 (edited 07-31-2000).]