Apr 29, 2017
91
32
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello, I am looking for some advice regarding this current application cycle and timeline. I am a Michigan resident (515 mcat ~3.7 gpa, not sure if it matters for this question), and I have completed 2 DO and 2 MD secondaries so far. I plan on completing two more MD's by this coming Tuesday. My question is a little unique, as the reason I have been late for submission is that my SO is applying as well and we want to coordinate our application as best as we can. She just took her MCAT in early September and received a 501, her GPA is better than mine though at a ~3.8, she has lots of clinical and shadowing experience and letters from professors and physicians, as do I. Our obvious goal is to get accepted into the same medical school, we know this is a very difficult plan to accomplish and we both understand that we must take an acceptance regardless of the other's outcome. We both have applied to every Michigan school, and some DO schools in the surrounding area. I just want to know if anyone here has some additional advice on what we can do. If we cannot get accepted into the same school we want to be as close as we can to each other, preferably driving distance. I am not trying to come off as a snob, like I said we know how crazy this plan is, we would both be ecstatic to attend medical school even if we are not physically close to each other.


How should we continue this application cycle? She is already preparing to retake the MCAT early next year because of the chance this cycle does not work out. But because she already has her primary in and her secondaries she might as well send them in and see what happens in my opinion, let me know if this is bad thinking. We have mentioned each other in some of our secondaries, where it seemed appropriate, nothing along the lines of we are dependent on each other or will only consider going if we both are accepted, we just mentioned we are both applying and would like to attend the same school, but that we also would love to attend the school separately. Should we continue this in our next secondaries? I should add the prestige of a school is not important to us, we just want to be doctors MD or DO, but would more so enjoy learning in the same area.

Edit: Forgot one of the main things I wanted to ask, how late are we in this current cycle? After completing these secondaries, probably by early October, should we add additional schools? We have 6 MD and 4 DO secondaries total, 2 of each completed.

Sorry for the rant and thank you for reading. @Goro You have been really helpful to me in the past, please let me know what you think.
 
Apr 29, 2017
91
32
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Getting late for MD, but fine for DO.

Applying to only four schools is foolish.

Applied to 6 MD, 4 DO so far but after completing these secondaries will add more.

Do you have any advice or insight on the situation with my SO? I know it is a complete lottery and luck game, but if there is anything we can do at this point to increase chances that would be nice. Thank you though for the quick reply!
 
About the Ads

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
63,733
95,975
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
  1. Non-Student
Applied to 6 MD, 4 DO so far but after completing these secondaries will add more.

Do you have any advice or insight on the situation with my SO? I know it is a complete lottery and luck game, but if there is anything we can do at this point to increase chances that would be nice. Thank you though for the quick reply!
Your SO's MCAT score is lethal for MD and meh for DO. Reject at my school and quite a few others too.

I suggest that your SO, being on a weaker footing, should put the application on hold until you know where you end up, and then apply. You should resign yourself the to fact that the two of you might very well end up separated for 2-4 years if she gets an acceptance.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user
Apr 29, 2017
91
32
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Your SO's MCAT score is lethal for MD and meh for DO. Reject at my school and quite a few others too.

I suggest that your SO, being on a weaker footing, should put the application on hold until you know where you end up, and then apply. You should resign yourself the to fact that the two of you might very well end up separated for 2-4 years if she gets an acceptance.

I appreciate your honesty. She already submitted her primary and applied to all IS schools and a few OS DO schools before her MCAT, because her test was pushed back a few times due to covid and her FLs were a lot higher than her actual. We are realistic and know there’s a good chance we end up across the country, but at the same time we want to do the most we can to be relatively close to each other. Given that she already has multiple secondaries do you recommend she only completes the ones she has and not apply to any others? Also, do you know if any schools look at couples any differently? For instance, if one school likes me would it be advantageous to bring her up as someone to look into despite her MCAT?

On a side note it’s cool how much you help everyone on this forum you should really be charging for your advice.
 

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
63,733
95,975
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
  1. Non-Student
I appreciate your honesty. She already submitted her primary and applied to all IS schools and a few OS DO schools before her MCAT, because her test was pushed back a few times due to covid and her FLs were a lot higher than her actual. We are realistic and know there’s a good chance we end up across the country, but at the same time we want to do the most we can to be relatively close to each other. Given that she already has multiple secondaries do you recommend she only completes the ones she has and not apply to any others? Also, do you know if any schools look at couples any differently? For instance, if one school likes me would it be advantageous to bring her up as someone to look into despite her MCAT?

On a side note it’s cool how much you help everyone on this forum you should really be charging for your advice.
I couldn't charge for my advice...this is a passion with me!

I suggest that she continue to apply, but skip the Touros, CCOM and AZCOM.

She should include UNECOM if from the NE, OSUCOM if from the Plains states and PacNW if from that region. I can't recommend Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads