Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Sections of The Economist

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by mrmandrake, Apr 8, 2007.

1. mrmandrake

Hey guys,

My buddy just gave me a CD with about 200 issues (from years 2003-2006) of "The Economist" and at about 150 pages in each PDF, I was wondering what sections best represent the passages of the MCAT.

These are exact copies of the online subscription and not scans of the paper magazine. Some of the sections are "The world this week", "Leaders", "Special Report", and then sections divided by continent: "Americas", "Asia" ... you get the point. If you are a regular reader please give any feedback. Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. poly800rock

poly800rock Member

i used to actually read the economist and have not really noticed the similarity....as for me, i just found a metaphysics book and copies of the atlantic from 1975 would probably do a lot of people better.

4. Funky

Funky This space is for sale

Pre-Medical
    The economist is a pretty good read. You need to find something more boring! :D

5. poly800rock

poly800rock Member

agreed. i find myself enjoying economist articles based on their content. you really do have to find the most boring articles in print to match wits with mcat verbal

6. Shrike

Shrike Lanius examinatianus

For what it's worth, I have seen a passage on an MCAT (back in '04) that was straight from the Economist. It was on the genetics of certain species of Compositae on islands in the Strait of Juan de Fuca -- not exactly what most of us think of when this magazine comes to mind.

7. ihdihd

ihdihd Member

More recently an economist article about warblers and their off-spring protection habits would have made a perfect MCAT passage.

8. CATallergy

Non-Student
    People on this site complain about the subscription price. There's a reason people pay it: it's a great magazine! As Shrike mentions, there is a science section that is interesting almost every week, and the articles about other miscellaneous world affairs - they might seem random if you don't already a read the newspaper, but they become like a weekly soap opera and you will look forward to every Friday's mail. I don't know if this magazine will help you with the mcat, but if you are going invest time into reading it, you might as well pay up for current issues - I do know that they will definitely keep you up to speed with what is happening in the world. well worth it

9. merlinwall

Pre-Medical
    The point of reading the economist isn't to practice slogging through boring passages-- it's to get you to think critically while reading well written material. Because it's interesting means you'll read more-- the more you read, the better you do on the VS. Reading boring material sounds like absolutely the worst and most painful way to prepare! If you want to practice reading boring material, you might as well squeeze all the juice out of your effort and answer some questions with it-- save boring passages for practices. READ READ READ-- whatever you can, as much as you can (of course passages are better than books, because you practice switching from one topic to the next, and such....)

BTW-- if you find you don't like the economist, find something else. I went:
    Time Mag --> Business Week --> NY TIMES (daily subscription) --> Economist/New Yorker/SLATE (Slate of course is my absolute favorite!)