Medical See my story. A post-bacc or a master of biomedical sciences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little background on me:
I am a non-traditional pre-medical student who got into medicine late in the game. Here is my story.
Dec 2015, I graduated with an undergraduate GPA (cum GPA: 2.608/ science GPA: 2.38).
At the time, my chances of getting into grad school seemed bleak, but I applied to graduate school anyways.
Miraculously, I somehow got into a graduate program. Started my program in Fall 2016.
At the same time, I began volunteering at a free health clinic and found the fiery passion for medicine and a strong desire to become a doctor. I have been with the clinic for 3+ years.
As such, I took a few classes at a community college (O-chem 1 &2 + lab and medical physiology) while in grad school. According to AMCAS, this would count as my post-bacc GPA (3.33 GPA)
Today, I finished my Master of Science in Microbiology with a 3.97 GPA with a thesis in the process of being published. (Note: this program highly emphasized research. The course load was not rigorous.)

I will be taking the MCAT this August.

I am definitely a student who is in need of reinvention and right now I am stuck.

Just recently, I found out I got into a pre-med post-bacc program (PMPB) and a Master of Biomedical Science program (which is essentially a SMP). I am not sure which would be better for me considering my stats.

Which route would you recommend? The PMPB or the master of biomedical science.

Again here are my stats:
Undergrad: cGPA: 2.608/sGPA: 2.38
Post-bacc: 3.33 GPA
Graduate: 3.97 GPA
MCAT: TBD this August
What would be left for you to take for postbac courses?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
Nothing really. I finished all the pre-reqs requirement.
This Post-bacc program is an academic enhancer program. The school does have a medical school and pharmacy school. They told me I would not be able to apply to their med school as an internal applicant even if I were to do well. They've done their calculations and said that even if I were to get all A's in this program, my science GPA would not reach their threshold. However, I would meet the threshold to be considered for their pharmacy School (which is obviously not the plan). And so I am quite hesitant with this program. But then again, it is an academic enhancer program. Maybe try my luck with other schools after completing it?

The MBS program is also an academic enhancer program. It has no linkage to any medical schools. They have an average acceptance rate into professional school of approximately 82%. My issue with this is how would medical school admission feel about me completing a second master's? Would that change how they view my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you open to DO schools? DO schools seem to favor non-trad students more and are more lenient to life stories (like yours). For example, even after doing a postbac, SMP, graduate work, you still have a 2.38 sGPA and 2.6 cGPA. I HIGHLY doubt any MD school is going to overlook this (even DO schools for that matter). Most of the time when we give advice for SMP, etc, students have a 3.1-3.3ish.

The MBS program is also an academic enhancer program. It has no linkage to any medical schools. They have an average acceptance rate into professional school of approximately 82%. My issue with this is how would medical school admission feel about me completing a second master's? Would that change how they view my application?
I don't think you'll get any concerns knowing that med school is your intended destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.