• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

    October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

    Register Now!

  • Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

    Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

    Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!


Seeing a neurologist for what is not a recognized neurological condition

Not open for further replies.


New Member
Aug 7, 2017
Per the title.

To clarify: I am NOT asking for medical advice.

My background is that I was put on 2 mg clonazepam/Klonopin a day almost a decade ago. I took it as a muscle relaxant, in retrospect overkill. In this country, the only formal medical indication for this drug is epilepsy.

I´m located in a country in Europe that does not ´exactly´ have a great healthcare system. One needs to get a referral to see a specialist, there is no ´private´ option, in practice the GP is expected to handle a lot, money is tight and the doctor patient relationship has traditionally been top-down.

Since the GP is supposed to handle so many things, which did not always go well to put it mildly, and the drug has become more and more of a problem I have been looking for real expertise.
I´m far beyond the stage where I can do a regular taper because I´m ´fine´ and traditional options like Librium or diazepam did not work either. Obviously, the drug has caused long term changes in the brain.

Would it be possible to get help from a neurologist in the USA (or possibly elsewhere, but that would be hard to judge for most members) even though I do not have a formal neurological disorder, as in ´a recognized neurological condition´ such as epilepsy ? How flexible, or rigid, are doctors ?


Epi Geek
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2009
Beyond the Wall

while it might not be asking for diagnosis or treatment advice, this thread is still seeking advice on medical issues and is not in line with the purpose of these forums (to provide educational information and resources to health professionals along their training pathway).
About the Ads
Not open for further replies.