Seeing a Pre-Med Advisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGreatHunt

High Performance
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So get this:

I call last Wednesday to see if I can meet up with a pre-med advisor at my school, sweet, sounds great. So the lady tells me:

"I'm sorry but the schedule for the following week came out on Monday and it is already booked up, the schedule comes out for the next week, every Monday, so call back then"

So great, I figure I'll go to my 8:50 class, and my 9:55 class, and then call back after they've opened(They open at 9:00 or something).

Anyway, I call back today at 11:00, and apparently the Pre-med advisor is already booked for the week after this, the first possible chance I can get to see him is going to be the week after the week after this. Seriously, I'm so pissed, I wish this lady would have told me that I had to call pretty much exactly when they open in order to even get a spot... I'm seriously so pissed right now.

I'm not even interviewing for Medical Schools yet, nor have I even completed everything for a PRIMARY, lol, and I already love how this process is starting...

:love:

Members don't see this ad.

So get this:

I call last Wednesday to see if I can meet up with a pre-med advisor at my school, sweet, sounds great. So the lady tells me:

"I'm sorry but the schedule for the following week came out on Monday and it is already booked up, the schedule comes out for the next week, every Monday, so call back then"

So great, I figure I'll go to my 8:50 class, and my 9:55 class, and then call back after they've opened(They open at 9:00 or something).

Anyway, I call back today at 11:00, and apparently the Pre-med advisor is already booked for the week after this, the first possible chance I can get to see him is going to be the week after the week after this. Seriously, I'm so pissed, I wish this lady would have told me that I had to call pretty much exactly when they open in order to even get a spot... I'm seriously so pissed right now.

I'm not even interviewing for Medical Schools yet, nor have I even completed everything for a PRIMARY, lol, and I already love how this process is starting...

you'll learn very fast that you have to be ahead of the game. This is why you do things earlier rather than later. Stay ahead of the game and you'll be fine.

Pre-med advisers are over-rated, unless you need a committee letter from them. At my school, I found them to be absolutely useless to me since there is no committee there.

Members don't see this ad :)
So get this:

At JHU sometimes when we sign up to meet with premed advisor, we have to do it 2-3 weeks in advance. Depending on how many premeds your school has and how good your advising departments are, you may be looking at long waits.

Dr.D-Man said:
Pre-med advisers are over-rated, unless you need a committee letter from them. At my school, I found them to be absolutely useless to me since there is no committee there.
Definitely not the case at JHU.

I couldn't agree more. I think they are the biggest waste of money for universities...

I've only gone one time when I was young and naive, but quickly found that the pre-med lady was one of the most cynical and uneducated people I have ever dealt with. She basically told me I was going at medical school so wrong from choosing chemical engineering as a major to types of EC's that I wanted to do because I enjoyed them. She really had no valuable advice for me (that I didn't already know) and frankly got my less motivated for medical school...

Why don't you just go by his office and stop in. I have never bothered scheduling a meeting with my advisor...I just go by her office between classes and walk in if she's there. Even if he doesn't have time to answer all your questions, if you make it clear that you really need to see him maybe he would find some extra time to meet with you. If he won't.....then yeah, he's pretty useless and you should probably use SDN or find a medical doctor that can give you some advice about the process. Good luck either way!

Yea they are worthless is right.

I met with one of mine today, he looked at my AMCAS application for about 19 seconds, looked at the last page of my transcript and saw that I had a 3.6, I told him I took the MCAT on April 16th and will get the score in 3 weeks; he then out of know where decided to tell me that he thinks i have a less than 30% chance of getting into an allopathic med school.

He then proceeded to attempt to convince me to go to a DO school for the next half hour.

Ha yea that meeting really helped a lot.

yup...I don't even think there was a premed advisor at UCLA...and even there was, I can't imagine what special insight they would share

advisor: Get a high GPA and high MCAT scores. Do some research, volunteering, and shadowing.

No way, really?

From your title I thought you were dating your premed advisor and got a good laugh. Anyway, take whatever they say with a grain of salt as I've heard advisor's saying pretty wacky things. They try to be brutally honest and are usually just brutal and far from honest.

my advisor directed me to SDN :D

:rolleyes: I feel your pain! I am transfering to a school in another part of the state, so I can't just drop by the advisor's office. I have been in correspondance with her via e-mail. She has been polite, sending me information about their program, and even offered to advise me through e-mail, so I sent her a copy of my transcript. However, I haven't heard from her in 2 weeks! Hopefully I will hear from her soon because I am going there on May 4th to meet with my major advisor, and I was hoping to have already spoken with her when I go. Anyways, hope you finally get through! :p

I've never once seen an advisor and I think my I'm happier with my education because of it. www.facts.org for graduation req's. Calling admissions offices at medical schools to see what they want in an applicant... works great.

Hmmm. I go to a smaller school and the pre-med advisor is also the advisor to all the biology students. I kinda have to see him at least once a semester for class registration. Aside from providing a sounding board and keeping me posted on upcoming premed opportunities he stays in the background, which is how I like it. Most of my contact is via email.