Seeking advice as a non-traditional student, pre-dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlg23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of going back to school in order to fulfill my pre-reqs for Dental school and am in need of some advice.

I graduated from college in 2013 and did my first year of college at a local CC. I finished with a 4.0 GPA at CC before transferring to a 4 year institution and graduating with a 2.65 GPA in business. I had a rough junior year which killed my GPA, but eventually switched majors within the business field to graduate and didn't get anything less than a B during my senior year. I'm now in working world and am realizing that I made a mistake of not pursuing my goal.

I've always wanted to go into the dental field since my freshman year when I was at CC and worked for an orthodontist that whole year. I got a good idea that this was the field for me, but didn't pull the trigger when it came to becoming a bio major.

I'm now thinking of taking my basic core classes at CC (bio, chem, orgo, physics) and taking my advanced/upper level classes at a 4 year institution in my area. I spoke with a pre-health adviser at the 4 year institution near me and they advised that this would a good route to pursue and just make sure not to get anything below a B throughout the whole process and crush the DAT.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would avoid taking any prereqs at the CC level other than English and maybe physics. Other than that, do well in all your other classes at the University level and you'll be good.

Thanks. The only thing is money which is why CC sounded like a good idea and this idea came straight from an adviser at VCU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure where your at in your process now but all but one of my science pre-requisite classes were taken at a CC and I had a sucky ass DAT score of an 18 and still got three interviews this last cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure where your at in your process now but all but one of my science pre-requisite classes were taken at a CC and I had a sucky ass DAT score of an 18 and still got three interviews this last cycle.

This guy is a godsend: Cheap International Flights – Scott’s Cheap Flights

I paid for the premium version and it's been well worth it but my cousin got tickets to England for $400 just the standard version. It's this dude that just finds cheap flights and sends you emails notifying you. It's not a booking site, he just tells you about deals he finds and then you can book it on google flights or something.
Do my mind sharing which schools, because I have some of pre-req taken in CC and it would help me to know. Thanks!

Do my mind sharing which schools, because I have some of pre-req taken in CC and it would help me to know. Thanks!

No problem, Oklahoma univ, Houston, Univ of TN in Memphis

Reactions: 1 user