Seeking Advice: BS/MD at SUNY Upstate vs. VCU (Virignia Commonwealth University) vs. T20 Undergrad

Apr 6, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey guys, I am high school senior was recently admitted to many T20 undergrads and also 2 BS/MD Programs. I have made a list of all the programs I am considering and needed some advice. I am pretty set on BS/MD but will include regular undergrad options as well.

Adelphi University + SUNY Upstate- 7 year program
Pros:

- No MCAT
- 7 year program
- 1.5 hours from home
- Adelphi is a private school with seminar style classes
- Close to NYC
- Will have a pretty light premed experience since they accepted my dual enrollment credit for Gen Chem I & II, Gen Bio I & II, Gen Physics I & II

Cons:

- Fairly new program
- Not as highly ranked as VCU (I don't know if this matters).
- Cohort of BS/MD kids will be 2-3 students and I don't know if I will find people as driven as I am during undergrad.
- Syracuse is cold
- Will not be able to make connections at Upstate early on since it is in Syracuse, but Long Island Jewish Hospital and NYU Winthrop are close to Adelphi University.
- Not as great research at Adelphi.

Virignia Commonwealth University + VCU SOM- 8 year program

Pros:
- Established and reputed program
- 5 min from med school so ample opportunities to do research and get published while also making connections with faculty early on which might prove beneficial once in med school
- Loved the honors college and the comradery among BS/MD students.
- Great Med School
- Cohort of 15 driven students
- Great Dorms- single rooms for all honors college students with private bathrooms
- Honors college is well set up
- Better weather

Cons:
- 8 year program- but I can graduate in three years and then do something else for the 4th year
- 508 MCAT
- More required science courses
- 5 hours away from home

Undergrad Schools:
USC- Keck School of Medicine Global Health Undergrad Program
University of Michigan- Did research with the global leader in prostate cancer. Will do research here for all of undergrad if I go. Will graduate in three years since I can transfer 64 credits from dual enrollment.
University of NC Chapel Hill- Will graduate in three years since I can transfer 64 credits from dual enrollment.

Again, I am leading towards BS/MD program. I am very very confused since I loved both...needed some advice on how to go about things.

TAVR4life

2+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2017
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Hey guys, I am high school senior was recently admitted to many T20 undergrads and also 2 BS/MD Programs (SUNY Upstate and Virignia Commonwealth Med). I have made a list of all the programs I am considering and needed some advice. I am pretty set on BS/MD but will include regular undergrad options as well.

Adelphi University + SUNY Upstate- 7 year program
Pros:

- No MCAT
- 7 year program
- 1.5 hours from home
- Adelphi is a private school with seminar style classes
- Close to NYC
- Will have a pretty light premed experience since they accepted my dual enrollment credit for Gen Chem I & II, Gen Bio I & II, Gen Physics I & II

Cons:
- Fairly new program
- Not as highly ranked as VCU (I don't know if this matters).
- Cohort of BS/MD kids will be 2-3 students and I don't know if I will find people as driven as I am during undergrad.
- Syracuse is cold
- Will not be able to make connections at Upstate early on since it is in Syracuse, but Long Island Jewish Hospital and NYU Winthrop are close to Adelphi University.
- Not as great research at Adelphi.

Virginia Commonwealth University + VCU SOM- 8 year program

Pros:
- Established and reputed program
- 5 min from med school so ample opportunities to do research and get published while also making connections with faculty early on which might prove beneficial once in med school
- Loved the honors college and the comradery among BS/MD students.
- Great Med School
- Cohort of 15 driven students
- Great Dorms- single rooms for all honors college students with private bathrooms
- Honors college is well set up
- Better weather

Cons:
- 8 year program- but I can graduate in three years and then do something else for the 4th year
- 508 MCAT
- More required science courses
- 5 hours away from home

Undergrad Schools:
USC- Keck School of Medicine Global Health Undergrad Program
University of Michigan- Did research with the global leader in prostate cancer. Will do research here for all of undergrad if I go. Will graduate in three years since I can transfer 64 credits from dual enrollment.
University of NC Chapel Hill- Will graduate in three years since I can transfer 64 credits from dual enrollment.

Again, I am leading towards BS/MD program. I am very very confused since I loved both...needed some advice on how to go about things.

Assuming finances are equal, I would go with the BS/MD, 7 years and no MCAT. Don’t go after prestige, your prestige is going to be that you got a MD spot at a US medical school straight out of high school. Possibly with no MCAT and 1 year less. That’s a GREAT deal.

About the Ads

longhaul3

2+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2016
If you are good enough to get into a BS/MD program, you don't need a BS/MD program.
I strongly agree with this. It will be big headache that you wouldn't have to deal with if you do the BS/MD, but if you perform as well in college as you clearly have to this point, you will be able to get into a much better med school than either one of those. (Not knocking them, I know people who have gone to both and have done great, but no reason to limit yourself.)

Reactions: 1 user

washboardEarth

Membership Revoked
Removed
Mar 19, 2020
Status
  1. Medical Student
if you publish in Michigan with this guy and your GPA and MCAT are satisfactory (510+) i would wager you'll be on the fast track to Dr. Fauci status

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads