Seeking Advice for CLINICAL PHD/PSYD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Herself

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I plan applying to clinical psychology programs this upcoming fall and would appreciate some advice and guidance.

My goal is to become a pediatric clinical neuropsychologist (preferably working in a hospital setting/govt/ private practice; open to any of these) and am struggling on deciding which route would be best. As of now I am planning on applying to PHD and PsyD clinical programs (PhD is preferable). I’m looking to apply to child/adolescent/family tracks. My interests are along the lines of resiliency, protective factors, multiculturalism, parent child relationships, at risk youth, latinx minorities etc. I reside in NYC and am open to programs across the country. I would like to know more about programs that are best in terms of best trainings and APA internship match.

A little about myself - I’m currently a bilingual Spanish Clinician working in an outpatient clinic within a hospital in NYC (working with mothers whom have methadone addiction along with many other cormorbid diagnoses)- my previous professional work experiences consisted of performing clinical work (specifically academic testing, language testing, psychiatric interviews, clinical report writing) within a research study, providing psychotherapy, social work and case management. The populations ive worked with include children, adolescents, young adults, adults, and elderly ( all DSM diagnoses).

My previous research experiences consisted of obtaining research assistant positions providing multicultural training to mental health professionals working/interested in working with the military/veteran population and providing mental health education to minorities in undeserved communities (gathering data, providing consent tedious RA tasks etc.)

I hold an MA in psychological counseling and an Ed. M In Mental Health Counseling (Latinx Concentration) from Teachers College, Columbia University and a BA in Psychology from University at Buffalo.

Im open to any suggestions, recommendations etc. please let me know if you have any questions or private message me.thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Your interests — pediatric neuropsychology, resiliency, protective factors, multiculturalism, parent child relationships, at risk youth, latinx minorities — are way too broad to recommend a particular doctoral Clinical Psychology program that meets your needs. First, you need to whittle down that list of interests to one or two.

Your interests — pediatric neuropsychology, resiliency, protective factors, multiculturalism, parent child relationships, at risk youth, latinx minorities — are way too broad to recommend a particular doctoral Clinical Psychology program that meets your needs. First, you need to whittle down that list of interests to one or two.

Meaning that I'd be totally okay with any research/working with a professor along with any of those interests-given my experience. I specifically want to apply to a doctoral program that provides the option of child/adolescent track in clinical psychology program- so anything along those lines would be meeting "my needs."

Members don't see this ad :)
A good place to start is to look up articles of interest and see where those faculty are at and if they are still doing that type of work.

Reactions: 1 users
As Joe mentioned, the breadth of that interest is fine, but you will need to start thinking about a narrowing of interest. Future mentors want to hear about a coherent field of interest, a tentative plan for why you want to work with them and what you hope to achieve in that particular program. You have a decent starting point, but now you'd be best served be thinking about some particular interests that you are particularly excited/interested in.

Reactions: 1 user