MD & DO Seeking Advice for MD/DO School List: 510, 3.86GPA, ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rideaselle

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. Master's: 3.86 cGPA (will be 3.9 once my capstone project is complete), believe sGPA is 3.8
    2. Undergraduate: cGPA: 3.76, sGPA 3.7
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    1. 510 (128/127/127/128)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. Colorado
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. Auburn University for undergraduate
    2. CO for Master's in anatomy
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. Undergraduate:
      1. 280 hours clinic for the underserved over three years (typically 3-4 hours per week)
    2. Graduate: (and current)
      1. 150 hours with Crisis Text Line (another 150 expected)
      2. 40 hours with hospice (year-long commitment to 200 hours)
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. Undergraduate:
      1. 700 hours with one lab, led two projects, presented a few times, and won a research award
      2. 200 hours with another lab, presented the research at a medical school and was an award finalist
    2. Graduate:
      1. Working with CO's medical departments and school of medicine to create educational resources/models for patients
        1. ~200 hours
        2. Some models incorporated into the medical student and resident curriculum to promote understanding of tougher pathologies
      2. Capstone project: ~350 hours
        1. with help of clinicians and interviewing patients, created an educational mobile platform for a specific set of patients. Platform has received support from national non-profit organizations and an OER grant
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 212 hours, bunches of specialties and lots of family med. I shadowed most places 15 hours but spent 30-40 in ED, in-patient family med, and out-patient family med. I can go more into detail on this if it's helpful.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. Provide English lessons to refugees and undocumented immigrants currently (50 hours)
    2. Some volunteering promoting STEM fields to at-risk schools throughout undergrad and grad (100 hours)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Undergrad:
      1. Student athlete throughout undergrad, served as captain of the team for a while, helped the team to represent our school at Nationals for first time in history, mentored new student-athletes
      2. Worked multiple part-time jobs to afford athletics
      3. Elected as research ambassador- spoke on panels, mentored students in research
    2. Graduate:
      1. Elected from my master's programs to serve as a tutor for MD students in gross anatomy
      2. Teaching assistant for MD and dental student gross anatomy labs and classes
      3. Worked ~500 hours as a cadaver prosector for med school, dental school, and PA program at CU
      4. Elected VP of Grad Student Council
        1. In this position- done a ton of work on campus with deans, chancellors, and program directors to implement a lot of change
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Research award, Dean's list majority of undergrad, scholarship for undergrad
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. Trying really hard to stay in CO with CU or RVU. If I don't get any love from these schools, prefer to move to an urban or suburban school.
    2. Third-time applicant.
    3. From AL, county is technically underserved
    4. Maybe an 'X factor'?
      1. Competitive horse rider growing up, graduated high school early, trained with and worked for several olympians across the country, eventually offered job with world's best rider but turned it down bc realization of medicine. Part of my PS
    5. Seeking a job as a clinical research coordinator for my gap year to gain more clinical hours
Submitted AMCAS June 15 and AACOMAS last week.
Perceived weaknesses: low clinical hours, low non-clinical volunteering. Hoping this would be offset some with multiple jobs, leadership, and being a student athlete.

Here's my school list so far! Please tear it apart and apologies for not really knowing school acronyms. I'm trying to narrow this list down to less than 20 as well, so please let me know if there are any I should avoid, any schools I should substitute, or if I'm not competitive enough for one. I understand my MCAT and clinical hours are on the weaker side.

MD:
Colorado
Nova
Arizona- Pheonix (maybe Tucson too?)
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
Drexel (I've seen mixed comments about this school...)
Wake Forest
MCW
Miami Miller
Albany
Rush
Creighton
St. Louis
Temple
Loyola
Einstein
Emory (is it worth a shot?)

DO:
RVU
Touro- Cali and NY
Midwestern (Chicago)
PCOM- Suwanee or Philly
LECOM- Erie, PA
Pacific Northwest - Yakima, WA

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Emory is a reach and the Arizona schools admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
TCU-UNT
Jefferson
Hackensack
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
New York Medical College
Vermont
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

If you only get into CCOM (Midwestern), are you really willing to pay the 70k+ just for tuition, and the COL of on top of that Chicago. I'd substitute in DMU or KCU instead on your DO list.