Seeking advice for new interns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PimplePopperMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all...

Just wondering if there's folks out there with some advice for us scared soon-to-be new interns... things to brush up on now, or things that piss you off in a new intern, or things you wish you'd known/reviewed?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
I originally posted this to another forum (Surgery and Surgical Specialties) but you may find it helpful.
njbmd

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Foxxy Cleopatra

Any advice on things I could do between now and July that would be helpful in starting internship? I've been hanging out in the sun with my Marino's ICU book, which I actually find to be a reasonably easy read. Any help will be appreciated!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,
You will never be asked to perform any procedure alone, that you are uncomfortable with. There will be a more senior resident to talk you through putting in chest tubes, central lines and the like. After doing a few rotations where I didn't get that much OR time, I even had to think about knot tying so relax and enjoy your time off. About two weeks into your internship, you are going to kick yourself if you don't.

As an intern, ask the more senior residents to let you watch them perform procedures. I bugged the anesthesia residents to let me put in Swans and central lines as they start cases. Most are happy to accomodate you. Try to get a month in the SICU where you will be doing plenty of line and the like.

You should have an idea of how to work up things like RUQ pain, acute abdominal pain and the like. You are going to learn to handle disasters in ATLS so don't worry about that stuff. No resident was born knowing how to manage patients. We are all learning. Your chief is going to give you the guidelines of patient management.

Learn to be detail oriented and write everything down on morning rounds. You main tasks will be to follow-up on everything that has to be done for your patients. What did that culture grow out? What are the results of that AM chest film? Hunt down the radiologists and get readings on all radiographic studies early in the day. Set up consults early and call the consulting team. Speak to the consults personally after they have seen your patients.

Keep the medical students organized and be very nice to the nurses. I can't tell you have valuable it is to go to the nurse after AM rounds at tell them the plan for the day for Mr. So and So. If you do that, they will make sure that your orders get carried out. Check out every lab test and replace electrolytes promptly. Make walkrounds in the afternoons and speak with families. Know how to do a good signout sheet. Put stuff on there that you would want to know if you were covering for the night.

Answer every page promptly and try to help if you can. The right decision always involves getting up and seeing the patient rather than trying to fix something over the phone. If a patient is crashing, load the boat (call the chief resident early rather than later), have fresh vital signs (even if you have to take them yourself) and have a plan even if it is not correct. Before you go to bed, check on and write a post op note on all fresh post-op patients. Look at all wounds on any post op patient that has a fever before you attribute the fever to atelectasis. If you are cross-cover, write a note and explain what you found and what you did. [" Called to evaluate patient in respiratory distress by night nurse. Pt seen and examined etc..."]

Ask plenty of questions and get into the OR every time that you can. Don't expect too much operating time as an intern. You main job is to learn good patient care. Go to the clinic with a smile on your face and help the team even if your fellow interns slack off. Be nice to the nurses. BE NICE to the nurses. BE NICE TO THE NURSES! They can make your job hell. A good nurse is not going to call you for stupid stuff in the middle of the night so get up and see the patient. They will also help you make decisions about things but remember that you are the physician even though you are pretty new.

Finally, enjoy this year. It goes by much faster than you think. You will not have the luxury of not knowing things during your second year so use this year to get valuable experience. No one expects you to come in and start treating patients immediately. You will have plenty of time to learn and grow.

Also, if you find that you are hating life, better to hang on and do well during intern year. A good work ethic will get you further than having superior knowledge but poor work habits. Attending physicians will always look out for the good workers. You can always find something different after internship if you do a good job. If you screw up during internship, you are going to have a difficult time and second year is going to be tougher because everyone knows you screwed up.

Don't let your fellow interns psyche you out. They are just as green as you are and all of you are in the same boat. Let the braggers go and keep taking good care of your patients. You really will learn on the job!

njbmd

njbmd

I am going in ED, not surgery--however that was an excellent post about surviving internship--thanks for taking the time to write it!

I am sure you were/are an excellent intern. Good luck with the rest of your training.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Melb
njbmd

I am going in ED, not surgery--however that was an excellent post about surviving internship--thanks for taking the time to write it!

I am sure you were/are an excellent intern. Good luck with the rest of your training.

I've heard from alot of people that the starting interns are worried about the intellectual/knowledge stuff before they start (did I learn XYZ in med school?) but the hard part is, just like in her post, being diligent about the grunt work. I think the above average former med student will in most cases feel overly supervised in internship, not the other way around... I'm not saying you won't have room to fly if you're eager, but I wouldn't worry about being able to "kill anyone" the first week.

But, this is just anecdotal.

mikecwru, md

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the great advice. Congratulations on being almost done with your intern year... that must feel pretty damn good. I'm starting in less than a month, and your words of wisdom will help a lot. Of course, any additional advice would be great too... keep it coming!

Here is one thing you may comment on: what standard "prophylaxis" orders do you write on admission? like senekot or colace for constipation, tylenol prn for pain, ambien for sleep, etc etc...

Never write ambien as a sleeper prn, unless it has been used before at home. Have the nurse call for that...the rest: tylenol, colace are ok.
Talk to your senior about prn orders, etc..... they have good tricks.

A couple of things to think about : the 6 P's

Puke: anti-nausea meds (although some surgical services won't use them--"masks the sxs of trouble")
Pain: obvious
Pus: does the pt. need abx? ask your senior if any ?
Pyrexia: incentive spirometer, prn tylenol
Poop: colace, etc
Prophylaxis: H2 blocker/PPI; SCDs/lovenox; etc.

thank you all again for the helpful posts- I'm printing this out :)

njbmd... I am not even close to needing any of this advice yet (MS1 this august) but I have this sneaking feeling that this is good advice :) As such, I have printed it and intend on keeping it in my wallet for the next four years till I need it. Assuming I won't find you then, I want to thank you for the advice right now :) Incredibly helpful post..thanks years in advance. Ohh...and it just fits neatly on one page....convenient too

your wallet? Damn boy, you're going to give yourself some major back pain if you put that kind of stuff in your wallet...

Q, DO

Good advice from above. Another option is to get the Washington Manual Internship Survival Guide. It's an easy read before you start internship and fits in your labcoat pocket. I used it quite often, especially when the upper level wasn't avail. I think it's pretty good for medical students as well.

You must have a reference to turn to. Either the Ferri manual or the Washington Manual. Always know your colleagues who attended that medical school. They will know the ins and outs of the hospital better than you. Lasly, be very nice to the nurses. They know the ropes, know the system, and have seen many interns come and go. Piss them off, and they will eat you alive!

well guys i am starting my intern , pretty scared and excited too,