Seeking advice--is it worth applying this cycle, or should I apply for fall 2022 entry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biolover27

Reaction score
Hi! I am a 22yo NJ resident seeking advice about applying in current/future application cycles.

My VMCAS application is almost complete and I plan on applying to 5 schools for fall 2021 entry (all of which do not require/consider the GRE). I am starting to wonder if it is worth applying this cycle because I was unable to gain diverse experiences this summer due to covid-19. Based on my background and experiences listed below, would it be wise to gain more diverse vet experiences and apply for fall entry 2022 instead? Thanks in advance.

- I graduated this year with a 3.78 GPA (biology major with a concentration in molecular cell physiology, minor in statistics).
- I have 3 years of research experience in a evolutionary biology lab (focused on environmental adaptation in house mice).
-I have about 800 hours of vet experience working in a vivarium at my undergraduate university (I was first a lab animal technician assistant but I have moved up to lab animal technician). The vivarium is supervised by both a lab animal veterinarian and research scientist.
-Before I gained interest in lab animal medicine, I shadowed at a small animal hospital for only about 50 hours over a winter break.
- I took a statistical consulting course during my sophomore year which involved working with a veterinarian to analyze data for her research..
-I also have about 50 hours of animal experience from volunteering at an animal shelter.
-I was a school of science peer mentor at my university during my junior year, and moved up to become the coordinator for the peer mentor leadership team during my senior year.
- I was secretary and then moved up to vice president of Next Generation Science Club at my university (in club for ~3 years).
- I have a total of ~300 volunteer hours for participating in blood banks, science outreach programs, etc.

honors:
-graduated with biology departmental honors (research thesis)
-member of alpha epsilon delta honor society
-historian of tribeta honor society
-received school of science travel grant to travel to participate in national conference
-received tribeta honor society research grant
-received chi eta chapter (for tribeta honor society) excellence award
-member of phi eta sigma honor society
-received research excellence award (distributed by the biology department at my university)
-participated in summer scholars program at my university
-received 3rd place presentation award in environmental biology at MACUB conference 2019

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

If you could lay out your information in this format, it would be helpful.

State of residence:
School list:

GPA
Science GPA
Last 45 GPA

GRE
V: Q: AW:

Veterinary Experience

Animal Experience

Research

LORS

Bonus info/Concerns

So are you looking to go into lab animal med? I would be careful applying with no gp experience as that will be a red flag especially since it can be difficult to get in residencies and you may have to work gp at least for a year or two depending.