Seeking advice on potentially risky topic for adversity/resilience/challenge prompt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VikingWarrior

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have finally found a topic that I feel comfortable discussing but have concerns that it may be viewed as risky. I am considering writing about my struggle with overcoming burnout towards the end of college and specifically addressing: why it happened, what I did to recover from it, and what I learned from the experience (how I will ensure it never happens again). I think this is a good topic to write about as burnout is a prevalent issue throughout medicine (for medical students, residents, and physicians) and this experience has allowed me to significantly grow and better understand myself as a person in the last yrar; however, my fear is that Adcoms will view this as me not understanding my limits and questioning whether I have truly learned from my mistake. I want to note that I am not doing this to cover up for bad grades, as my grades were the same during that term as the rest of the terms. I would appreciate feedback from the SDN community, especially the Adcoms such as @Goro, @LizzyM @gyngyn @Catalystik and others.

Members don't see this ad.

I have finally found a topic that I feel comfortable discussing but have concerns that it may be viewed as risky. I am considering writing about my struggle with overcoming burnout towards the end of college and specifically addressing: why it happened, what I did to recover from it, and what I learned from the experience (how I will ensure it never happens again). I think this is a good topic to write about as burnout is a prevalent issue throughout medicine (for medical students, residents, and physicians) and this experience has allowed me to significantly grow and better understand myself as a person in the last yrar; however, my fear is that Adcoms will view this as me not understanding my limits and questioning whether I have truly learned from my mistake. I want to note that I am not doing this to cover up for bad grades, as my grades were the same during that term as the rest of the terms. I would appreciate feedback from the SDN community, especially the Adcoms such as @Goro, @LizzyM @gyngyn @Catalystik and others.

You will need to provide some more details on your situation. This has a high risk of coming off in a way that you do not intend.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's an excellent topic. You might avoid saying "it will never happen again." You can say you will continue to utilize the strategies you instituted as preventive measures, will try to remain self-aware about your limits, that you understand it's important to continue learning about the topic throughout your career, and will seek outside help if necessary.

Your essay need not include every detail. Don't make it "too personal."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would not write about this. The problem is that most of us look back on our last year in college as, how do I say this, not really a bad time in our life. I was in a busy stressful major, and I still slept in most days and had plenty of free time to have fun. This is compared to 80 hour weeks as an intern where literally all you do for months in a row is work and sleep. So to say you burned out at what a lot of us would consider one of the easiest and best times in our lives... that's not good.

Reactions: 1 users