1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking advice regarding PCAT score taken September 5

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by simplyazn04, Sep 6, 2014.

1. simplyazn04

Hello fellow pharmacy students/future pharmacy student/anxious PCAT takers. I just recently took the PCAT yesterday and have a few inquiries about my score:

Verbal ability: 78
    Biology: 40 (wtf?)
    Reading comprehension: 86
    Quantitative ability: 61
    Chemistry: 76
    Compostive: 74

Gpa: ~3.5, graduating this semester with a BS in Biology, and have worked as a registered pharmacy tech for the past 2.5 years (easily 2500+ hours)

I plan on applying to all schools in the state of Texas and the 2 in Oklahoma. This is the second time i took the test, i chose the no score option in July because i did not study one bit for it (what a waste of $200...)

I have done all 3 practice tests from Pearson and every time my biology scores were in the 70's, i dont know how i tanked that section considering i actually finished the section on time. On the reading and quanitative part, i had to randomly guess on multiple questions and left some unanswered but yet i got a higher score on those.

Will my low bio score be the downfall of my application? I've read on here schools mostly care about chem/bio scores. Should i retake? (i dont think i will get that high on reading/verbal again.) After skimming through the post your preliminary scores thread, i was so disappointed in myself, 90's composite score page after page.... Yes jealous :(

All advice is welcomed.
    Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kavina

Pre-Pharmacy
    Rather than wasting another $200 to try and take the PCAT a third time, I'd say apply this cycle and see what the schools say. You have a pretty good GPA, and you have experience in the field, so you have other parts of your application that look good. Plus, UT Austin won't take any PCAT test scores after September, so any improvement in score wouldn't help you there.

4. 87asu

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

#3 87asu, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  5. Thestrugglez

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Retake. IMO, Schools will question how you scored a 40 in Biology when you majored in Biology and got a 3.5 (or at least I would).

Don't worry too much about the scores posted on SDN. Most of the people posting scores on SDN are ecstatic about their scores (not to say there aren't people who are actually seeking advice) which is why it seems like everyone and their mothers scored in the 90s.

6. simplyazn04

Thanks for the input!

@Kavina , i just saw the statistics for those accepted to Austin last year, majority of those accepted were in the 90-99 composite range.. will definitely reconsider applying there.

@87asu , i was thinking the same thing. even my boss ask how the hell did a soon to be bio grad score the lowest on bio. it kept me up all night thinking about what i could've done differently. i think even a bio score in the 60's would've brought my score up to the 80's.. :(

The trend on here seems to be super high scores in bio/chem and lower scores in verbal and reading but i got the complete opposite.

Keep the inputs coming :)

7. simplyazn04

@Thestrugglez i was hoping they would be asking how did a non-native speaker score higher in the reading/verbal part and kinda let the bio score slide... LOL jk
    one can dream though right

8. nxq875

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Apply based on how competitive the school is, as you mentioned UT Austin took 90+ percentiles, so look for schools that took scores like yours (70+ percentile is still considered competitive).

9. simplyazn04

Thank you for the input @nxq875
    My main concern is the extremely low biology score. Retaking will mean spending another $200 ($650 total), missing work, and getting in the way of my classes this semester as the next testing cycle falls in October during exam time.

If anybody has successful experience in getting into schools (particularly in Texas) with a low bio/chem score, please share your input!

Thanks

10. sunshao

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I am wondering how u scored so low in bio. I am a cell and molecular biology major graduating this semester and I scored 86 without even studying for it.(focused super hard on quant, rc and chem, which I scored very well in) The admission would ask why ur bio so low when u grad with a degree in bio if u get an interview.

11. simplyazn04

@sunshao i have been kicking myself for the past several days wondering the same thing. with the 3 pearson's practice test i took, i consistently bombed chemistry, verbal ability and quantitative ability. thing is, im kinda afraid to retake the exam with the chance of making a higher bio score but getting lower scores in the other sections thus bringing the composite down. also, i feel confident about my essay this time (knock on wood) and not sure if i will get so lucky next time

On the other hand, I dont want to waste money sending applications into pharmcas either if the admissions will automatically reject the low bio score.
    Such a dilemma!

12. sunshao

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I would honestly say retake. Unless u scored in the high 90's on multiple sections, then I wouldn't retake for 1 low score. I think u can personally increase in each section.

13. OldPhotography

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Your experience will really help you. Your GPA is about at the average of accepted students, your PCAT composite isn't horrible - it's close to the competitive range, but you have 2.5 years in this field. I've worked in pharmacy for 2.5 years as well (since I was 18!) and I've noticed that a lot of the new graduates that I've worked with that never worked in a pharmacy before graduating are awful! They're flustered, miserable, and always tell me that "this is not what they expected." I think some sort of pharmacy experience should be required for acceptance so that each of the future pharmacists knows exactly what they're getting themselves into. I understand that retail pharmacy isn't always what everyone wants to go into (I want to potentially go into clinical pharmacy and I work retail now), but still I think each applicant needs to have exposure to pharmacy in some manner to validate their reason for wanting to become a pharmacist.

14. simplyazn04

thank you @sunshao and @OldPhotography for the vote of confidence!

I know the feeling OldPhotography. I dread walking into days where they send floaters to our store that we're not familiar with. Over the last 2.5 years, I've only met 3-4 new graduates that I actually like working with and the turn over rate for my company is astounding. My favorite has to be this one girl who sat on her butt the entire day (we only have 1 chair in the pharmacy) to plan her wedding while the rest of us did everything. Dont even get me started on the interns LOL

I hope that my experience will help me at least land an interview even though my biology score is abysmal compared to other applicants