MD Seeking Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cub45

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've just been dismissed from my school by literally a photo-finish (I was 0.3% away from passing). I feel like I still have what it takes to become a physician. I've mapped out my studying deficiencies and I have not taken any boards yet. Where should I go from here?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I've just been dismissed from my school by literally a photo-finish (I was 0.3% away from passing). I feel like I still have what it takes to become a physician. I've mapped out my studying deficiencies and I have not taken any boards yet. Where should I go from here?

It's over. I'm sorry, but you have to move on. Go to the Caribbean if you really want to be a physician. They may possibly work with you if and give you some credits so you don't have to start over. Also, there's the risk of going unmatched especially after failing from a US school. I'm sure there are other forums on SDN to help you out with careers to pursue after Medicine but Allo may not be the best. If you want us to give you some secret answer to get back to your school, it can't happen. You've failed objectively and we're likely given multiple chances.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

How many times do you fail a block? Can't tell you how many times students have repeated the block or the year at my program.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many times do you fail a block? Can't tell you how many times students have repeated the block or the year at my program.

At my school, if you are in statistically in danger of failing first year, you are contacted with the option of splitting 1st year into two years. You can continue taking the course to its completion being exposed to all the content. Then you get to retake it again next year. If you fail it again, you take it one more time in the summer and if you fail that, you're done. For second year, after micro/pharm/psych it's divided into a 10 block unit. You can fail a maximum of 3 blocks and still pass the year. If you do that, you retake the whole course the next year. Then, if you fail that, you take the course again in summer and if you fail that you're out.

I'm sure most schools have a multiple chance policy like this in place likely due to LCME regulations to ensure some standardization across schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I highly suggest a new path. This one was not for you.

You had a lot to lose. You had multiple chances. To top it all off, you had probably close to over a hundred thousand dollars of debt. If that doesn't light a fire under your bum to work hard for medicine then nothing ever will. It is clear that even if you want to be a doctor, you never really wanted it bad enough when it counted.

There are lots of great paths out there. I suggest thinking about what things you truly like and find something that you are willing to push yourself for. If pushing is not what you are into, there are even paths for that. I'd highly suggest you start reflecting about life now.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I've just been dismissed from my school by literally a photo-finish (I was 0.3% away from passing).

I don't think you know what "literally" means. But then again, neither do a lot of people.

Regardless, good luck with your next career path.

I don't think you know what "literally" means. But then again, neither do a lot of people.

Regardless, good luck with your next career path.

I'm actually on board with this. It'd be like the medical school version of trial by combat a la GoT. Race around the school before the chimes finish ringing at noon and you get to stick around. I'll bring the Chariots of Fire music.