Seeking Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dimitrios

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I posted this on a Canadian forum, I thought I might ask you lot as well.

Hello all,

I am in first year university right now, and I had some questions regarding the "big four" Caribbean schools. In my first semester at York University (Canada), I have these grades so far:

3 Credit Class: B+ (7/9)

3 Credit Class: A (8/9)

My overall first semester GPA (out of the York scale of 9): 7.33

I am doing a bit better in my classes this semester; here are my projected marks (optimistically realistic):

3 Credit Class: A

6 Credit Class: B+

6 Credit Class: A

Projected overall GPA: 7.6 (Give or take, it can be from 7.5-7.7, my film and chemistry marks are borderline right now).

NOTE (On the OMSAS Scale): 7=3.0/4
8=3.8/4
Also a 7.6 is about a 3.6 on the four point scale using this chart:

http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf

As mentioned above, I am looking at the Caribbean medical schools. I realize that I can finish my required med schools classes (e.g. orgo, physics, etc) by the end of my second year. If I keep on the same track as now (i.e. my grades don't change too much), what do you think of my chances of getting in? I have quite a bit of volunteer experience from high school, and a bit of experience now, for example I have a semester of volunteering at a life science lab in the university. Also, will they give accept me after my second year (even though i would not have done my MCAT by then), or will I have to be accepted after my third year (if I do my MCAT during my second year summer, or somewhere around then)?

Thanks in advance for any help guys, its much appreciated.
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I posted this on a Canadian forum, I thought I might ask you lot as well.

Hello all,

I am in first year university right now, and I had some questions regarding the "big four" Caribbean schools. In my first semester at York University (Canada), I have these grades so far:

3 Credit Class: A (8/9)

My overall first semester GPA (out of the York scale of 9): 7.33

I am doing a bit better in my classes this semester; here are my projected marks (optimistically realistic):

6 Credit Class: B+

6 Credit Class: A

Projected overall GPA: 7.6 (Give or take, it can be from 7.5-7.7, my film and chemistry marks are borderline right now).

NOTE (On the OMSAS Scale): 7=3.0/4
8=3.8/4
Also a 7.6 is about a 3.6 on the four point scale using this chart:

http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/c_omsas_b.pdf

As mentioned above, I am looking at the Caribbean medical schools. I realize that I can finish my required med schools classes (e.g. orgo, physics, etc) by the end of my second year. If I keep on the same track as now (i.e. my grades don't change too much), what do you think of my chances of getting in? I have quite a bit of volunteer experience from high school, and a bit of experience now, for example I have a semester of volunteering at a life science lab in the university. Also, will they give accept me after my second year (even though i would not have done my MCAT by then), or will I have to be accepted after my third year (if I do my MCAT during my second year summer, or somewhere around then)?

Thanks in advance for any help guys, its much appreciated.
smile.gif

why are you only considering Caribbean schools?

It's not just them, I'm also looking into the US, but I know Canadian schools may be a long shot.