Program-Specific Info / Q's Seeking from Barry University who can give me their opinions on it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramenmon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding people who have gone to Barry for Occupational Therapy. If you have, please let us know if you were OTD or MSOT, what year, and if you enjoyed the program or not/pros and cons, and anything else you want to share.

Also, were the loans worth it? I know tuition is steep.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard back from Barry? I thought interview requests would be out by now...

I actually just heard back from barry. I have an interview next week! Don't be nervous, i think they do it in rounds so I'm sure you'll hear from them. Has anyone had an interview with them yet? I was wondering what their process is like. The interview is only 30 minutes so I'm wondering if they drill you with questions...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I actually just heard back from barry. I have an interview next week! Don't be nervous, i think they do it in rounds so I'm sure you'll hear from them. Has anyone had an interview with them yet? I was wondering what their process is like. The interview is only 30 minutes so I'm wondering if they drill you with questions...

Congratulations @KnightsAlum :highfive: That's exciting!! I'm curious about their process too. Do you mind sharing your stats? :)

i'm considering applying to the barry program but i'm a little concerned about the weekend program.. can anyone please help me find the pros of being in a program like this? i feel as if it is more tailored to those who have a family they need to support while going through school.

Congratulations @KnightsAlum :highfive: That's exciting!! I'm curious about their process too. Do you mind sharing your stats? :)
Of course! I am actually a very average student.. 3.38 GPA, on the GRE I only got a 189 total. I went and found myself a tutor and worked my butt off and that is still the highest I could hit. Im not a great test taker though. Barry does not require a "minimum" GRE score, they just want you to do your best. I only took it twice because I decided that I wanted to spend more time focusing on the things that could potentially compensate for those weaker areas. I really focused on my essays and made sure I got good references. I have a lot of volunteer work to show for in OT and I currently work in a doctors office, which I know Barry gives priority to applicants that have medical experience. Im really nervous for the interview though! I've never had a real interview believe it or not...do you have any tips or suggestions for me?

Hope this helps!:)

Of course! I am actually a very average student.. 3.38 GPA, on the GRE I only got a 189 total. I went and found myself a tutor and worked my butt off and that is still the highest I could hit. Im not a great test taker though. Barry does not require a "minimum" GRE score, they just want you to do your best. I only took it twice because I decided that I wanted to spend more time focusing on the things that could potentially compensate for those weaker areas. I really focused on my essays and made sure I got good references. I have a lot of volunteer work to show for in OT and I currently work in a doctors office, which I know Barry gives priority to applicants that have medical experience. Im really nervous for the interview though! I've never had a real interview believe it or not...do you have any tips or suggestions for me?

Hope this helps!:)

Thank you, it does help! Luckily I was called for an interview today too :claps:Hopefully, we both get in! Sounds like you are a great candidate! It's not easy getting OT shadow/volunteer hours but you have a lot... not to mention great references which is a big plus! :) I think you'll do great in the interview since you have plenty of background and are knowledgeable about the field. Google potential OT interview questions... If i can find the link I did before I'll upload it for you. Almost 100% chance they'll ask you why you chose OT, what you learned/challenges while shadowing so be comfortable with your answers there. Try to have a couple questions at the end of the interview for them that shows you specifically know their program (look back on their website). It's a super short interview so they may not have too much time to go into great depth but try to tell them what you told me about tests not being an accurate measure of your ability and how you shine elsewhere :D I heard it's good to dress professionally but not be overdressed (more dressed up then the interviewer)... other people like to wear suits so I think it depends on your personal preference. I hope that helps some :angelic: Let me know how your interview goes!

Thank you, it does help! Luckily I was called for an interview today too :claps:Hopefully, we both get in! Sounds like you are a great candidate! It's not easy getting OT shadow/volunteer hours but you have a lot... not to mention great references which is a big plus! :) I think you'll do great in the interview since you have plenty of background and are knowledgeable about the field. Google potential OT interview questions... If i can find the link I did before I'll upload it for you. Almost 100% chance they'll ask you why you chose OT, what you learned/challenges while shadowing so be comfortable with your answers there. Try to have a couple questions at the end of the interview for them that shows you specifically know their program (look back on their website). It's a super short interview so they may not have too much time to go into great depth but try to tell them what you told me about tests not being an accurate measure of your ability and how you shine elsewhere :D I heard it's good to dress professionally but not be overdressed (more dressed up then the interviewer)... other people like to wear suits so I think it depends on your personal preference. I hope that helps some :angelic: Let me know how your interview goes!
Congratulations friend!!! thats so awesome to hear! Do you think if all goes well, that Barry will be where you decide to go? I made a "study guide" of typical questions that I'm assuming they will ask me and have been studying it. How are you feeling about it? I just bought an outfit for it today. You'll have to let me know how yours goes as well! thanks for the help!

Hi everyone! I too was called for an interview last week and have an interview tomorrow. I am very nervous but am hoping it will be slightly casual and informative. When is everyone else's interview?

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations friend!!! thats so awesome to hear! Do you think if all goes well, that Barry will be where you decide to go? I made a "study guide" of typical questions that I'm assuming they will ask me and have been studying it. How are you feeling about it? I just bought an outfit for it today. You'll have to let me know how yours goes as well! thanks for the help!

Honestly, I haven't been accepted anywhere at all so I'll be happy to attend if they accept me! :) How about you friend, will you definitely go? I may use this interview as an excuse to go shopping even though I could pretty much wear any of my work clothes, lol ;) Keep us posted on your interview experience I'm really interested to hear how it went!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I too was called for an interview last week and have an interview tomorrow. I am very nervous but am hoping it will be slightly casual and informative. When is everyone else's interview?

My interview is Monday February 29th :) Please share how your interview goes tomorrow! Good luck!!!! :xf:

Hey, I have an interview Monday. How did it go for you? Any pointers you can offer? Thanks!

Hello! So I'm considering on applying to Barry but I kind of want to wait to hear on other schools that I've applied to. Should I just go ahead and apply now? It seems like they do rolling admissions. Also, the concept of the weekend program is kind of making me question. Anyone have any opinions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just had my interview this past Wednesday! 2/25/2016 ! Now it's just a waiting game.

They will only ask two questions. : )

Is a bachelors degree required to apply? I will be graduating this summer.

How long did they say it would be before you hear whether or not you got in? Good luck!
They said before April 1st.. but my guess is maybe 2 weeks from now. If I don't get in I will be so depressed. I think my interview went well though.

Honestly, I haven't been accepted anywhere at all so I'll be happy to attend if they accept me! :) How about you friend, will you definitely go? I may use this interview as an excuse to go shopping even though I could pretty much where any of my work clothes, lol ;) Keep us posted on your interview experience I'm really interested to hear how it went!
Hi friend!!! How did your interview go? I haven't been on here in a while. Mine was Thursday of last week. It seemed to go well, but I honestly barely even remember what my responses were to their questions :laugh: It wasn't what I was expecting at all! but it still went well! Seemed kinda laid back in a way. Tell me about yours! I have been checking my email nonstop hoping to hear back from them. If I were to be accepted by them, I would be starting in the summer since I don't have Kinesio, which is extremely soon! There would be so much to do in that small spand of time for me being that I would move down to Miami. Do you have an idea of your plan if you were to go?

Hi friend!!! How did your interview go? I haven't been on here in a while. Mine was Thursday of last week. It seemed to go well, but I honestly barely even remember what my responses were to their questions :laugh: It wasn't what I was expecting at all! but it still went well! Seemed kinda laid back in a way. Tell me about yours! I have been checking my email nonstop hoping to hear back from them. If I were to be accepted by them, I would be starting in the summer since I don't have Kinesio, which is extremely soon! There would be so much to do in that small spand of time for me being that I would move down to Miami. Do you have an idea of your plan if you were to go?

Hi friend!!! I'm in the same boat as you :) I need to take kinesiology and it was apparent that they preferred it from Barry so I'd have to start summer also! I think my interview went well too :highfive: Everyone was so nice there... great experience and nice campus :) They told me they will try to let me know by April but possibly even in the next couple weeks. Hopefully we get good news soon! I'll let you know if I hear anything :xf:

Hi friend!!! I'm in the same boat as you :) I need to take kinesiology and it was apparent that they preferred it from Barry so I'd have to start summer also! I think my interview went well too :highfive: Everyone was so nice there... great experience and nice campus :) They told me they will try to let me know by April but possibly even in the next couple weeks. Hopefully we get good news soon! I'll let you know if I hear anything :xf:
It was an awesome experience! I wasn't expecting to have to do a written response to an essay question but luckily it wasn't too difficult. They seemed really sweet and supportive of their students and were really willing to explain how their program works, which was nice. I would assume that the students who still need kinesio and are going to be accepted will hear sooner rather than later because they have to give an appropriate amount of time for the student to figure out their situation, especially if it involves moving and all that. Will you be moving down there if accepted? I will keep you updated for sure! you do the same!!:):soexcited:

Did you have to do a written response too?? Now that I think about it, no one on here mentioned having to do that in their interview :cyclops:

Yeah! I was totally surprised since even the interview details email didn'tmention that :rolleyes: I was relieved that it was such a simple open ended prompt :writer: You bring up a great point about needing to know sooner since that course would essentially start the program months sooner for those of us missing that prerequisite. I'll have to move closer to the area... Fort Lauderdale maybe? I'm not sure about living in Miami :shrug: I don't really know the area... What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Congrats! I just applied, a little late so I'm kind of nervous. Do you mind sharing your stats?
Sure!
GPA: 3.4 maybe 3.5.. I had a few graduate level courses they added to my undergraduate GPA
120 observation hours
5 letters of recommendation
GRE: 298.. not the best..

Hope this helps!

Does anyone know if they already sent out all the interviews? Still haven't heard back and getting kind of nervous

Does anyone know if they already sent out all the interviews? Still haven't heard back and getting kind of nervous
I think they will hold interviews all throughout March maybe through early April. I was accepted about 2 weeks ago. I know that they will hold interviews until they are full.

Just got a call for an interview next week! Anybody who has interviewed mind sharing what it was like? I've been going over general interview questions but don't want to go in and be caught off guard!

Just got a call for an interview next week! Anybody who has interviewed mind sharing what it was like? I've been going over general interview questions but don't want to go in and be caught off guard!
They will only ask you 2 questions..just make sure you ask them questions.

Got in !! Does anyone know exactly when the kinesiology course would start? And if we could take the class at a different school or it has to be through them

Does that mean if you're waiting for close to a month after the interview that you didn't get in? I believe my interview went pretty well. I'm from Louisiana and traveled a long way to get there. I was very professional and my writting sample was great. If I say so, myself. So I shall remain prayerful and pray I get accepted. They should let us know before April 1st or thereafter.

Got in !! Does anyone know exactly when the kinesiology course would start? And if we could take the class at a different school or it has to be through them
When was your interview? I wonder if the longer the wait, if thats correlated with us not getting in?

I got in!! Yay!!!
How long did it take to get an admissions decision? I interviewed on the 25th and I think I did pretty well. Hopefully we will become classmates. What were you alls stats for admission?

My interview was on the 25th of February. I came in dressed professionally and ready to handle business. Suit and tie and well spoken. I actually did well on the writing assessment. They seemed to like my answers, but like everyone else, I'm nervous.

Hi Everybody!

I got my acceptance email early this morning! I believe that I will be attending. I am also having some trouble finding opinions from past students of the program, as it is unique in it's weekend schedule.

Hi Everybody!

I got my acceptance email early this morning! I believe that I will be attending. I am also having some trouble finding opinions from past students of the program, as it is unique in it's weekend schedule.
Congratulations. When was your interview?

When was your interview? I wonder if the longer the wait, if thats correlated with us not getting in?
My interview was on 3/21 and I heard back on 3/23. I think a lot has to do if you need the take the class in the summer cause it starts in May and you need to prepare. Stats are GPA: 3.44 Prereq GPA: around 3.7-3.8 (i didn't calculate it) GRE: 310 and around 270 hours in 3 settings

My interview was on 3/21 and I heard back on 3/23. I think a lot has to do if you need the take the class in the summer cause it starts in May and you need to prepare. Stats are GPA: 3.44 Prereq GPA: around 3.7-3.8 (i didn't calculate it) GRE: 310 and around 270 hours in 3 settings
Oh I see. Were about the same. I have taken every course. I think its just the wait that has me on edge.

I got a call for an interview today! It seems like they're giving out a lot of interviews since almost everyone on this thread got a call. I'm not complaining tho! I just hope everything goes well because interviews are so nerve racking for me

I got a call for an interview today! It seems like they're giving out a lot of interviews since almost everyone on this thread got a call. I'm not complaining tho! I just hope everything goes well because interviews are so nerve racking for me
You will do fine. Just speak with confidence and answer their questions. God will bless us all.

Hello everyone my interview is on Monday April 4th can someone please give me an idea what the writing portion is going to be?